Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats your favourite amp?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

I think the speakers are hard wired, at least I?ve always assumed that (don?t think there are any obvious connectors) .

Eh?don?t know what a ?hotPlate? is LoL; but sure I could just use pedals for a little overdrive & reverb. However, nowadays I just play for fun, & an inexpensive little transistor amp will do for that for me - the Marshall should really go to a serious collector, or to someone using it for recording or whatever.

I think it?s a pretty difficult amp to value, and talk of money is a sure fire way to lose friends (which is why I haven?t floated the idea on 18watt.com). But as I say I don?t actually want to ?sell? it, instead I?d rather find a collector who?d like to swap for a nice vintage Tele (yeah, I know ? lots of pitfalls with supposedly ?original? vintage guitars, LoL!).

Ian.
Ps: I think Lexus are better than Ferrari (talking strictly of cars here!), not just different, but ?better?, !
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

Many thanks for the info about THD etc., looks interesting; I?ll give that some serious thought . However, I seem to have highjacked the original thread a bit here, so I?ll keep this stuff brief -

More I look (eg TDPRI forum), more it seems so-called ?100% original vintage Tele?s are ALL (literally ALL!) just ?parts-o-casters? (inc. top price stuff from George Grunn etc.) - I?d hate to swap a genuine untouched original amp for a parts-o-caster - haven?t changed my mind, just getting more wary, LoL!

Be assured I wasn?t fishing for a sale or trying to jack up any price, absolutely NO WAY, LoL! OK, well now I know you?d be interested, I?ll be certain to email you BEFORE I take it further with anyone else .

Price of vintage Tele?s? Well I?ve had to re-educate myself on that even over the last 24 hours - Broadcasters, NoCasters, & 1950?s Tele?s are all totally mad - I wasn?t thinking of those prices at all - maybe just buy an ?undesirable? 1970?s Tele instead, at least some of those ARE all original !

OK, I?ll keep you in touch (email or whatever) .

Ian.
Ps: yes, quite right, it?s ?Head & Heart?. But if you do ever have ?Ferrari money? maybe consider a 1960 250GT Berlinetta? Well I have to go now, have to take my Honda Civic for an MOT !
lasher
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: ummm Reply with quote

an 18 watter...yummy. i don't have any ancient teles tho. i do have an ancient strat. but, i couldn't trade her off, even for a very nice amp like the 18.
8bit Barry
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really must make a point of mentioning the good old late 70's 50w Master Volume as my all time favourite amp. THD Hotplate and then into a Pre-Rola birch cab. I really can make this amp and my Tokai sound like Jimmy Page to The Darkness. I find that I have the most fun out of this simple set up.

Cool, can't believe this post is still going...... there's a lot of differnt sounds that I would really love to get my hands on!
Roadrunner 451
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it WAS my 50 watt Marshall, but my new favorite is my Kendrick Black Gold 35 with 4/10's. Very Fenderish, kind of a tweed deluxe meets a Bassman ala Texas. I still love the Marshall though, it's just not my favorite anymore. It's so nice to have two great sounding amps that are so diffrent sounding, a real luxury.

Bill
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing exclusively through my Guitar Port which is cool for jamming and learning new tunes. I plan on trying a Zvex Nano Head - 1/2 a watt class A tube power.

Ned
Porsche 911 Racing
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about the Nano head. Perhaps you can give us your thoughts after you've tried it Ned?
jpo1953
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have'nt had much experience with amps having never been in a band situation but I have an SJB 'Ant' combo which is really nice (class A 6L6 output valves). They are a little rare now as the Company has unfortunately closed down but worth checking out if any of you are looking for a good small amp. Its really unusual to see them for sale but by some chance there are 2 of them on Ebay right now!
Joe
grooooved
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My default amp is a '76 Fender Dual Showman Reverb that has been modded to pre CBS Blackface Twin Reverb specs. It's a TR in a head. Best all around tone. I keep two tubes pulled to bring the wattage down to fifty or so. I always pop 'em back in for those stadium gigs that are always popping up.
It's great with a strat or a paul.

I've recently acquired a silverface Vibro Champ, and I've still got to change my caps and tweak a couple of resistor values, etc. But man, I like it a lot!

My '68 BMR is sweet all it's own. It's a silverface with the trim ring. Beautiful PTP cloth wired chassis!

It all depends on the mood I'm in.

I think I'm gonna build an 18 watt plexi clone for my first amp project. To me, I have to have one of everything so I won't be missing something.

I love it!
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need to acquire the Nano head, they run about $450 for 1/2 watt. I went and tested one last weekend. For 1/2 watt it's really load through a 1x12 closed cab, just as load as my Champ. The instructions suggest running it through a 4x12 cab.

Ned
Porsche 911 Racing
SpringySound
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Roland Jazz Chorus - don't bother, they're horrible, sterile things.
For guitar, I don't think you can beat either an old HiWatt 50 or Orange head. Although I wouldn't mind a Vox AC30.
Play bass these days though, so AFAIC you can't beat my Trace GP11.
Cybercat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Love Rock, I get the very best "Les Paul" sound I can imagine using a little Laney LC15R combo. Really classic rock sounds with no pedals & no effort! I tried the bigger Laney's (as the LC15R is too small to gig with for 95% of the places I play), but the tone was not the same & the sweetness was gone. Luckily it has a 'line out' so can be put through the PA for added level & ambience on small gigs.

The LC15R replaced a Fender Pro-Junior (older, tweed model, with alnico speaker) as my practice amp of choice.

Usually I use a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jnr. for gigs, sound sgreat with my Strats & beats the Matcheless SC30 I had before, and reminds me a lot of the early 60's Vox AC15 & (several) AC30's I had in UK.

Since getting my Cornish Duplex at Christmas I can, at last, be less fussy about amps. It gives a really great sound through most tube amps set clean

This lets me use the "house amps" in places like Hard Rock Caf? etc. without having to lug my Dr. Z to every gig.

Pics of these on my homepage (link below).

My current Skype status is : -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: