Amp Modelling

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Though I would start a new thread for this one.

I absolutely love my POD and wish I had the POD Pro. A lot of people are using the POD for bass and vocals. There is a standard DI preset that can be used for both bass and vocals. I don't have a bass (yet) so I haven't tried it.

I'm working on a new song right now and when I'm finished I'll post it on MP3 (unless someone knows someplace better).

Ned

Barry,

There has been something I'm dying to try with a Cream Machine. My theory is you can get great studio and live sound by using the CM as you power amp section. In the studio this would work great - say JMP1 --> Cream Maching, live you would then just run the CM into a larger transparent ss power amp.

Could you test this for me. The really great sounds come from a cranked power amp and I think the CM will accomplish this...

Ned

As Barry may tell you, a J Station in the UK is about ?150 which is half its RRP, but is it a worthwhile investment seeing as it is now "outdated"?

Like I said in the "Home Recording" thread, I own a StingRay as well, and want to record that when putting a song down.

Will a "normal" guitar digital modeller do a bass guitar justice if it is used to record? Do I really want to have a model of an Ampeg valve SVT rig plus an 8x10" cab (yes please!). Do any of the other digital amp modellers have bass amp models (except the Fender Bassman) included on them?

Anyone have any experience of playing a bass through a guitar modeller? I currently use my old BOSS ME30 (JC120 Modeled) footboard for both guitar and bass (I like a touch of overdrive on the bass as well as a clean sound) and this is giving some nice results.

So, should I go and get a POD and a Bass POD? Or go and buy a J-Station? Or, should I wonder why no-one has released an "All In One" Home Recording Amp Modeller

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Sky,

Have you checked out the forums at line6.com?
I would bet you can get an answer to the bass though a POD question there.

Ned

Not yet, but I will do soon.

Its kind of daft really, all these companies competing to out POD a POD, and yet a lot of Home Recordists want a versatile "One Stop Shop Amp Modeller" that'll do Guitar, Bass, Acoustic and even Vox! I'll stop ranting now. :wink:

Barry,

I was thinking of the Crunch/Blues/Bass Masters which have a EL84 tube section. Gotta find one of these.

Ned

On eBay there is a H&K CL100 guitar slave. Went to the H&K site and read the manualy, it's solid state power amp designed to work with the cream machine and other half rack pre-amps. Little sucker puts out 100 watts.

Ned

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and got myself a POD v2.0.

Had a load of bits laying around that I didnt use anymore, and so took them into one of the local guitar shops and traded them in for a POD.

Still getting to grips with it, but 1A (Big Rectifier) and the Soldano Overdrive are the coolest so far. Tried plugging the bass and acoustic into the Tube Preamp with good results, but I havent recorded anything yet. I'll keep y'awl posted as to how its going!

Update time.

Fallen in love with my POD 2.0, and have a few favourites (especially the Soldano, so much as I'm thinking of saving my pennies to get one!).

I the clean sounds are great for my electro acoustic and my bass, I've been experimenting with both and the best I've found is the JC120 model for the acoustic with a bit of chorus, and a Marshall Plexi (just on the verge of breaking up) with 4x12 cab for the bass.

I've been using a Fender Cyber-Twin for direct recording for over a year and a J-Station for recording bass guitar. I havent tried the POD's but I have messed around with the J-Station some for guitar, but I prefer it for bass. I've heard some clips of guitars through a POD and some of them sounded pretty good to me though I've heard some that sound like crap too. Anyway, these "boxes" are only going to get better as time goes on, it'll be interesting to see (or hear) how much better they will be in a few years. For now I'm thrilled with the Cyber-Twin, It's the best thing I've used for guitar yet. Can anyone here who has used a J-Station and a Bass POD compare the two? Thanks!

thought I would add an update to this thread, been using the POD XT Live for home recording for about 6 months now, really impressed with it and the flexibility of the patches etc are amazing so you can really tweak the sounds you want, then you can take it with you anywhere you go to play !!

I've never got on with the POD, I bought one after buying, trying and dumping a terrible Behringer V-Amp 2, and now I have neither and play through an all-valve setup. As I'm going back to university in September, space 2will be at a premium so I can't take a bloody great cab along with me and over half of my guitar collection will have to stay with my parents for a while in storage. After trying the demo, I went down the Guitar Rig 2 route. For someone like me into experimental, electro and ambient music, it's a godsend, you can play with it for hours. Does it beat my current amp and cab? No it doesn't. But does my current amp and cab beat GR2? No it doesn't! Each sound source has its own application and I will be more than happy playing through GR2 during my year at uni. Digital modelling is getting better and better abnd this is the best I've used, be it POD, V-Amp 2, Valvetronix etc.

Andy.

Thefairway said:
I've never got on with the POD, I bought one after buying, trying and dumping a terrible Behringer V-Amp 2, and now I have neither and play through an all-valve setup. As I'm going back to university in September, space 2will be at a premium so I can't take a bloody great cab along with me and over half of my guitar collection will have to stay with my parents for a while in storage. After trying the demo, I went down the Guitar Rig 2 route. For someone like me into experimental, electro and ambient music, it's a godsend, you can play with it for hours. Does it beat my current amp and cab? No it doesn't. But does my current amp and cab beat GR2? No it doesn't! Each sound source has its own application and I will be more than happy playing through GR2 during my year at uni. Digital modelling is getting better and better abnd this is the best I've used, be it POD, V-Amp 2, Valvetronix etc.

Andy.

i also managed to get myself a copy of guitar rig 2 but i dont have the external foot controller... but let me tell u the sounds on that thing are phenomenal!!!!

there isnt as many amps to emulate as the pod has but the amps they have are very accurate sounding i think...

u can also have 2 cabs running out of whateve4r amp u are modelling and have one panned all the way to the left and the other panned to the right and set the mic's to different positions and choose from a wide selection of popular mics to.... panning the cabs to left and right like i said lets u get this really thiick sound.... the gratifier amp model is my fav so far along with the jcm800 and the old plexi.... some of the stomp box emulators are great i wish i could get the controller so that i could use the wah and talk box effects properly cozx they sound amazing to say the least!!!

this has to be one of the best amp modelling piece of kit i have ever used beats the pod hands down for sound quality......

Dave

but one thing i will say it really doesnt beat the sound of my realy gutiar amp
marshall JCM2000 TSL with a Laney 4x12 check out the pic....

u really cant beat the sound of a REAL tube amp can u???

DSCF0679.jpg

Nope, which is why I have promised myself, once university is finished in May 2007, a trip to see Dennis Cornell in order to get me a handwired amp :)

Dave, the Behringer FCB1010 foot controller works wonderfully with GR2. Normally I avoid Behringer gear as previous experiences have not been good but this is a great piece of kit. It's a sod to program, I downloaded some tips from the FCB1010 Yahoo group, altereted the patches and it now works perfectly for my needs. The expression pedals are good, perhaps not ultra-strong but good enough, the pedals are decent enough and it gives GR2 a real 'I'm playing an amp' feel.

Thefairway said:
Nope, which is why I have promised myself, once university is finished in May 2007, a trip to see Dennis Cornell in order to get me a handwired amp :)

Dave, the Behringer FCB1010 foot controller works wonderfully with GR2. Normally I avoid Behringer gear as previous experiences have not been good but this is a great piece of kit. It's a sod to program, I downloaded some tips from the FCB1010 Yahoo group, altereted the patches and it now works perfectly for my needs. The expression pedals are good, perhaps not ultra-strong but good enough, the pedals are decent enough and it gives GR2 a real 'I'm playing an amp' feel.

handwired amps tube amps are awesome, especially if u got some nice vintage effects pedals in there to.... but far to expensive i dont have money to go out and get a nice handwired tube amp, my TSL 100 does me nicely but i really do love the sounds that i get from the Guitar rig 2 software....

so this behringher pedal allows me to to get real time cotrol of the stomp box emulators like the talkbox, and crybaby????

and also set my favourite amp models and effects chains to different banks on the pedal to???

the effects pedal emuators like the cry baby well i have only tried using them by just strumming a chord and moving the slider side to side on screen with my mouse just to see how they sound and well... it really sounds like a jim dunlop craybaby.... and also the digitech whammy emulator on there is pretty close to the sound of the REAL pedal... infact i would go as far to say that Guitar Rig 2 is the best Amp Modelling piece of kit i have tried out... better than anything i have tried by Line 6 anyways thats for sure... the sounds are really authentic...

and i dont even have the hardware for the software... i am just using my soundblaster audigy 7.1 soundcard....

i do believe if u buy the software u also get the fool cotroller with the expression pedal and the footcontroller actually has a built in soundcard that gives u even better latency....

i use the asio4all driver for the software i get a real good latency of 10ms u dont notice it at all

i would advice anyone who is into using there computer for music/guitar recording purposes to get this software, as it truely is amazing....

by the way u must have a good soundcard and a good enuff ASIO driver so that u can get as low a latency as possible....

i recommend going here www.asio4all.com and downloading their ASIO driver and then set Guitarrig 2's audio options to use the ASIO4all driver.... that should get u a nice low latency......

fairway thanx for letting me know about this behringher foot controller that works with Guitar rig i must try and source one so i can get full advantage of the effects sims coz they sound amazing with just ringing a chord and sliding the pedal cotrl side to side the wah sounds just like a crybaby and so does hthe whammy!!!!!!!!

so i guess with the footcontroller they are gonna be totally smokin!!!

by the way fairway what latency do u get???

and also which soundcard are u using in your system???

Back