Hi, new member AST-62

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boola

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was directed to these forums by a helpful guy tristram505 on youtube.

I've been wanting a strat for a long time but couldn't afford a Fender. A long time ago someone at school had a great Tokai LP and the clips on youtube sounded great so I decided to go Tokai.

I was actually looking for a more modern sounding strat but I think I got lucky because this thing I bought on ebay is awesome and it works with my old Marshall really well. I'm not really a Strat expert but to me it sounds like a Strat but darker and twangy at the same time with an almost evil growl to it - very cool.

I think it's an '86, ash AST-62 and looking at pictures and listening to clips of strats from that era, I have to say it's a near perfect copy. I'm floored by how good this guitar is :eek:

Here is a pic and also a crappy clip I did on youtube. I gotta start learning Jimmy a bit better......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPZuZi9rwE

tokai.jpg

I would happily knock the Tokai aside to get to the JMP... :eek:
I used to own the second generation of that amp....four input/100watt.
Oh and the AST looks good too :p

hehe they are already inseperable I'm afraid!! TBH, that amp didn't cost much more than the AST. The super basses are the bargains of the marshall world, they are as near as dammit the same circuit of the mid 60's JMPs at a fraction of the cost :)

Here's a few more pics of the guitar, perhaps someone can confirm it is an '86

smallIMG_0264.jpg

smallIMG_0266.jpg

smallIMG_0265.jpg

smallIMG_0267.jpg

smallIMG_0268.jpg

smallIMG_0270.jpg

smallIMG_0271.jpg
[/list]

"darker and twangy at the same time with an almost evil growl to it "

Good description!! Sounds great, but I had to switch off when you got to 'stairway' :wink:

JohnA said:
"darker and twangy at the same time with an almost evil growl to it "

Good description!! Sounds great, but I had to switch off when you got to 'stairway' :wink:
Erm..that's the point that I clicked it off as well :roll:
No offense....but most of us here are well over 40 and that's a lot of years listening to everyone's "artistic License" when it comes to that particular Page tune.

ha! I knew that was a mistake, it doesn't go on very long but it's good coz you missed my massacre of Hendrix :)

Well I thought it sounded good. Never mind those two miserable old gits! They both love Les Pauls, what would they know about good tone?

:wink:

Mike

True that....I LOVE Les Pauls and I merely TOLERATE strats... 8) :D

I have both types of guitar and love both of em and I'm only 30.

Maybe you're just a late developer - you'll get it eventually :p

boola said:
I have both types of guitar and love both of em and I'm only 30.

Maybe you're just a late developer - you'll get it eventually :p

You're probably very right there. I'm 41 and I'm only just starting to get in to strats. A lot of it is the tone which is not as immediatly impressive as a Les Paul, but has a quality about it that takes a bit of maturity to appreciate. Some of it is just my poor old back :D

Latest posts

Back