Greco or Tokai P bass

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Malloy

Reaction score
I'm wondering what year and which model name/# P bass copy to buy. And if the Greco's are just as good as the Tokai's etc. Thanks,

Mitch

Very good question in that I've heard they were made at the same factory end of the 70's beginning of the 80's.
Also the sticker with the number on the back of the Tokai's is a bit of a mystery:
I've seen: 45, 62, 75
What's the logic there?
Was 45 the bottom of the line?
Are the so-called spaghetti logo Tokai's better?

Very good question in that I've heard they were made at the same factory end of the 70's beginning of the 80's.
Also the sticker with the number on the back of the Tokai's is a bit of a mystery:
What's the logic there?
Are the so-called spaghetti logo Tokai's better?

Def go with tokai, higher number of model = better wood etc. I must say the 84/85 original series are superb for the money and go for 100-150 when they become available.

So the 7okai logo lasted until when?
Also were 3 screw tuning machines older?
Are neck plate numbers that start with an L mid-80's or earlier?
Any tips on dating these basses highly appreciated.

ForestThump said:
What's the logic there?

Yes, is the short answer. The higher the number, the better spec or quality. Same with all Tokais.

Mike

ForestThump said:
So the 7okai logo lasted until when?

A lot of the information you want is in the Registry, so have a good look around. These articles would make a good starting point, particularly Andrew Munro's article at the top.

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-reviews.html

The link to andrew Munro's article just takes me to the cover of the magazine it appeared in.
It would be nice to be able to identify the basses a bit more precisely especially when they lack the easily peeled off sticker.
Also to know when and if these instruments had nitro finishes as well as more info on the quality of the electronics over the years.

ForestThump said:
The link to andrew Munro's article just takes me to the cover of the magazine it appeared in.

Scroll down!

Alternatively - right click on the link and "Save Target As..." or similar. Then open it in Acrobat (it's a PDF).

ForestThump said:
It would be nice to be able to identify the basses a bit more precisely especially when they lack the easily peeled off sticker.

Sing it, brother! :D

Latest posts

Back