opinion on a couple of vintage tokai str*t types

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratnpaul

Reaction score
I want a rosewood board guitar. I live in the US. What is your opinion of this one? Is it a nice one? Is it an early or late 80s model?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-AST-62_W0QQitemZ110367321380QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item110367321380&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Has anyone purchase from a Japanese dealer? In particular, this
seller, because I actually like this one better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320349497184&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Any input from you folks is much appreciated.

Hi, the second guitar was a nice guitar, did you buy it??

Chingo is one of the most prolific sellers on ebay, mainly sourced from yahoo japan, he sells loads of guitars with small margins. He's a well know seller and you should feel confident about buying through him.

Good luck with your search / purchase.The first guiatr is a new headsatock version, not very popular but may be a good buy.

Yes , I have puchaced guitars from CHINGO & have alwys found his discriptions 100% acurate , he always shows lots of photographs (of the guitar you are bidding on ) Highly recomeneded . I too prefer the guitar in the second photo .regards japaxes

Do you guys know if there will be custom charges or other hidden costs? Again this is from US to Japan.
I know it is slow (months verse weeks) but SEA shipping is half the cost of EMS delivery. Is it reliable?

I've had stuff delivered by sea before, as you say it's slow but I didnt have any problems. If I was buying an expensive guitar though I would always get it delivered by air just to safe.

Tax and duty in the US seems to be a very hit & miss process, it seems to depend where you live, and through which port the guiar enters the country. You really need advice from someone local that's had a good few guitars delivered.

Wouldn't send something as delicate as an instrument via sea. You've the same chance of damage (bad handlers, motion, etc) as air freight, but you're multiplying the number of times you expose the cargo to those factors because of the months-not-weeks thing.

Back