Robin - made by Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even know there were Robin guitars never mind that Tokai made some early ones. Strange looking beastie, eh.

andyscott said:
I didn't even know there were Robin guitars never mind that Tokai made some early ones. Strange looking beastie, eh.

Here's a vid of Stevie Ray playing a Robin double neck and brother Jimmie shows up and plays on the other neck at the same time - classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onqzua4bRHY&feature=PlayList&p=89E4ED43DA1FEE5E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

Jimmie brought a Robin double neck over once for a gig at Dingwalls. Never saw him play one before that gig or since, it's as though he liked them for a year or two, then went off them again.

Mike

The first year or two Robin's were made by Tokai. I've met an old Robin employee who actually slept on a cot in the Tokai factory to monitor the Robin production.

Rockin' Robin (store in Houston) always had a good inventory of Tokai's during the late 80's.

I just picked up a Robin Ranger off of ebay (US) and it is early-mid 80's, built by ESP. Some were built in a transitional period by Tokai, but most MIJ's were built by ESP. Then they pulled production to the states. Pretty sweet guitar, the neck is killer and tons of tonal options. But alas, I'm an LP player at heart so I'm not sure how long I can hold my MIJ LP lust at bay :)

rightangle.jpg

Latest posts

Back