Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Love Rock Customs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

Quote ?did not get hit for import duties???....i wonder if that is cause it was second hand????. No;- it makes no difference if it?s new or 2nd hand, it should still attract the same Vat & Import Duty. And some also say they paid a ?20 ?Handling Charge? . However, it seems a proportion of parcels are deliberately allowed through without any charge (about 1 in 20 I?d guess) ? eg, I bought an MIJ Strat from Tokyo last summer, without any bill for Vat or Duty etc .

Ian.
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaunfreak wrote:

I also, like u say, got hit for shipping my love rock into the country from Japan but did not get hit for import duties???....i wonder if that is cause it was second hand???...im not sure, all in all a custom love rock (with teh gibson inlay on the headstock rather than the new flower) for ?450 including shipping seems a good deal.........btw have you tried the tokai V in Gamlins?,,,,think i'm gonna get one!

You got yourself a real bargain there! Customs are strange and inconsistent lot. I've heard tales of people buying guitars while abroad and coming back to the airport to find the red channel unmanned - result, walk straight through with an untaxed guitar!

Haven't tried the V. I like guitars you can sit down with. I did have a good go of their MIJ fenders last time I was in though. Might pick up a Jazzmaster eventually, pity tokai don't make those.
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some Dillion JazzMasters, there not exact {the bridge/Vibato} but are very cool! TG
shaunfreak
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's good to know guys bout the duty etc......I thought i was onto a bit of a winner!!!......I was thinkin i could get away with murder in customs!!!!

I guess i must have been lucky to get away free first time of trying. That is waht i found a little strange, because when i telephoned customs to see if i'd have a vat bill they said yes, also a handling charge but that was when i wanted to import a martin 00015 acoustic from the states. I thought i got away cause it was second hand and that VAT only applied to 'new' items.

Oh yeah, i havent had them out yet but anyone know what pickups are in the TLC 70?...............i have recently installed a pair of 490R and 498T gibbys in my epi LP and these on the Tokai blow them out of the water!!

squeak soon guys
shaunfreak
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw

do the bills from customs etc arrive straight away???? or are they sent later???

i've had my geetar over a month now and nothin has arrived YET !!
Simon
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Vat & import duty charges. Reply with quote

Hi Shaun

I reckon you've gotten away with it mate nice one! When I got my ES120 from Japan a couple of months ago I had to pay in cash at the post office or give them a cheque and wait for it to clear before they would let me have it! On small parcels like pickups in jiffy bags and the like I haven't had to pay anything yet but I got a body and some bits from Stewmac which was delivered by DHL and got nailed for that. DHL pay the taxes and then bill you motto being don't use DHL or similar use the old PO instead. I did have some pickups that came USPS from New York that took a month to arrive airmail but at least no duty and normally quicker.
Regards Simon.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to pay taxes on a small package when I ordered my Tone Pro studs from WD music.
shaunfreak
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys for the advice

It looks as though i may have gotten away free this time.!!!!!

Good old parcel force!.........

P.S I ordered my guitar on boxing day and it was with me two days later.....maybe it's a good time to order around christmas time when the guys inthe depot are in a merry mood

Shaun
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun, you?ve become a Tax Invader! Eh,?..I mean ?evader? . Do you realise, that?s put one billionth of a penny on the tax bill for every man, woman & child in Britain ? Now, I?m sure you will do the ?right? thing & phone the Tax Office to own up straight away, yes ?

Ian.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing, for those who don?t watch the exchange rates:?. $-exchange reached 1.89 today, wow ! That?s higher than I can ever recall (it was 1.4 three years ago!) ? means you get a wonderful deal on any guitar priced in $?s from US or Japan .

Ian.
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry

Ian.
shaunfreak
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh well

maybe i'll donate some cash to charity to ease my guilt!!!

cheers guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: