77 Burny Les Paul too early?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry jones

Reaction score
Hi,Recently bought a Yamaha Lord Player as a second guitar to a 58 Giibson vos Les Paul. The quality and sound from the Yamaha was amazing! I became a "Law suit" anorak overnight and have spent the past 4 months reading and drooling over Tokais, Grecos and Burnys.
I have many questions for those experts amongst you. The first relates to a Burny
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220377222068
I carnt find very much information on these early models. Would a later "Super Grade" be a better purchase?

personally, I would go for a later RLG over the FLG

you will get several visual aspects that are more 'correct' with the RLG, that the FLG does not have
1. two piece/center maple top (not a nasty looking 3 piece top :evil: )
2. fret edge binding 8)
3. proper vintage style tuners w/plastic keys
4. a TOM bridge with the proper size foot print (unlike the larger/non vintage size on the FLG)

again, these are all visual elements but for me, they add up to make a better representation of what they copy/replicate ..............

Burny RLG X four :D ............................
3-20RLG4.jpg

Yes go for a later model. The best ones are not RLG?s but FLG?s. from 1979 (FLG60) and on

a FLG 60 from 1979 are a very nice Tokai made guitar, else FLG?s from 80-82 are fine guitars. The wood, finish and pickups in these guitars are often of a bette quality, than in the later RLG?s. The pickups in the FLG 60 are some of the best Burny pickups ever made !!

These also have correct vintage style nickel hardware and double ring plastic tuners like a 1960 Gibson LP

nils

Wow! Thanks for the swift reply and much appreciated advice and info.
I liked the look of the Burny with Les Paul instead of Super Grade but wasnt sure if it would be in the same class being an early model. It seems a safer bet to wait for a Super Grade 79+( in the UK) . As a newby I could so easly buy somthing purely because it looks the part, I think I just landed lucky with the Lord Player (?335)
Glad I joined this forum I was so close to but it now!
Cheers Terry

Just noticed the pics, now I am drooling! not to mention green with envy.
There are only 3 things in life that make me drool and God made them all.
A good looking woman, a Spitfire and a well made Les Paul. :p :p

Back