Need some info on a Tokai Breezysound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsincm

Reaction score
Hi, a good friend of mine who recently passed away, left me with a Tokai guitar. I have minimal knowledge of Tokai guitars, but these are the facts I have concluded:
-Breezysound
-Yellowish/custard color
-Serial # 18903
-Sticker with the number "50" on back of neck, as well as "Made in Japan" sticker.

Yes I realize this is my first post, feel no obligation to help me, but any information is appreciated.

Enclosed are a few small pictures.
Photo-0008.jpg

Photo-0009.jpg

Photo-0010.jpg

Edit- I am also curious as to what it would be worth, it also has a matching case. (No intentions of selling, I am just wondering)

Welcome. It would be nice to see some decent pics, but it's clearly a Breezy TE50, & it's a copy of an early 50s Tele - you can tell that by the black scratchplate, maple neck, & the decal position - the 60s Tele copies had the decal more straight on the headstock. The 50 sticker tells you the model number - don't remove the sticker! The Made In Japan sticker tells you it isn't one of the later, cheaper, Korean models.

Should be a decent guitar, I have a 60s copy TE50 myself. I'm not sure from your pics if the headstock is the original shape or the modified shape - this will affect it's value. We also need to know where in the world you are to assess it's value - you can add this to your profile like I have here on the left:

<

Enjoy your Breezy, & look after it - you own a vintage guitar.

8)

Mike

Appreciate the information. What should I look for on the headstock to determine if it is original or modified? Also, I am in Canada. Thanks.

It's the shape - it's either a straight copy of the Fender shape, or it's slightly modified. Can you post a clearer pic?

there's a close-up pic of the "modified" headstock shape in this link: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12788

yours looks like the "correct" shape, i think, but as mike says, it's hard to be sure from the small pics.

Sweet guitar, by the way, i love that colour combo in teles. :)

The picture of the headstock in that link does not match mine, so I am assuming it is the original. Knowing this now, what do you think a guitar like this is worth?

hsincm said:
The picture of the headstock in that link does not match mine, so I am assuming it is the original. Knowing this now, what do you think a guitar like this is worth?

Maybe $500 - $700 in today's dollars. Really depends on what someone is willing to pay for it - which is not alot these days. Keep it and play it in memory of your friend.

I am collecting Breezies since 4 years only. My take is that you've got an 84 TE50 with the original headstock and probably with the first series of TB pups.

2 piece ash body? center matched? smells like old sweat/nitro?

As I am a collector/player I'd pay USD 500.-- for her. If you are clever you'll keep her.
Rup

sorry mike,

but you might be mistaken. I thought the same until I got an 1985 ATE52 (UK headstock) from a friend in Canada which was/is clearly nitro. I can do the test again and post it.

the rule for 50s is poly.

rup

the_man said:
sorry mike,

but you might be mistaken. I thought the same until I got an 1985 ATE52 (UK headstock) from a friend in Canada which was/is clearly nitro. I can do the test again and post it.

the rule for 50s is poly.

rup

That's news to me Rup. Even my 1980 TE70 is poly, sadly. Such a waste, that guitar is so good it deserves a nitro finish. Never heard of a nitro TE50 anywhere.

Mr RUP Can you please post the test again, I'd like to see how the acetone effects the nitro, I've been getting very inconsistent results using pure acetone. I wish someone would produce a you tube video.

I have a 84 te-75 and the poly finish really lets the guitar down.

This poly versus nitro thing just doesn't add up, i have some great guitars some poly and some nitro, if you could tell the difference through tone of either i would give them away for free. The smoothest sounding LP i have is poly and i wouldn't sell it for anything. As far as i am concerned it only affects the feel of the instrument in your hands and even then it is only minimal, remember Nitro is highly toxic and does come off in your hands ....poly doesn't........

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
. As far as i am concerned it only affects the feel of the instrument in your hands and even then it is only minimal

It is about feel, but it isn't minimal to me. Nitro is much more comfortable - my hands don't sweat as much if I play for a long time.

I also found nitro to be better for playing, especially for my right arm (where it meets the body, I play Breezys). It just doesnt get as sticky as poly.

On the neck I am a 100% believer in TrueOil anyway.

I'll be back in Austria for a few days soon and try to put the nitro test on youtube.

Soundwise: I probably would not be able to hear the difference if you hit me with a live sheep. But collectors are collectors (sorry).

rup

leadguitar_323 said:
remember Nitro is highly toxic and does come off in your hands ....poly doesn't........

Mick

Woah woah woah Mick, bad science there! It's the solvent you need to spray a nitro finish which is highly toxic, not the finished lacquer. The solvent is what "dries", and it'll be gone well before you receive a finished instrument.

I thought the solvent was acetone, which is just a hydrocarbon and not terribly dangerous ....unless you drink it.... :p
Edit, apparently it is mixed with thinners {toluene or xylene} so there must be something more volatile in the mix as these two products are readily available and used regularly. I have heard that a"nitro" finishes are banned in some countries.

Mick

Back