Best Strings for a Les Paul copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrabows

Reaction score
Hello - I know this is based on personal preference, but what would be the best strings for a Les Paul copy?

I use the Gibson LP strings (.009's on some and .010's on others). I also use the Brite wires on occassion.

Dana

Personally, I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's (9 - 46), which are the same guage as the Gibson LP sets.

I like the EB's as they seem to last longer on my gear than other brands. This is of course IMO.

I don't think you can define 'best strings' for any particular kind of guitar. It's down to you, your tone preferences, playing style and to an extent your skin chemistry.

I like D'addario 11's. Long lasting, very full sounding and slightly softer feeling than most other brands at that guage. And they have colour coded balls. 8)

LP type guitars benefit greatly from using 10's instead of the standard 9's IMO due to the scale length. Then again, Brian May sounds pretty good with 8's and his guitar's scale is even shorter.

I used to put 0010 D'addarios XXL but a good friend an old semi-pro guitarist recomended me New Gibson Vintage 0010(sealed packed) and they suite very good.I feel D'addarios a little soft and treble sounding than Gibson vintage.

Crumbs, I wish I could get Lays S.I.T. strings here in the UK again. They are the best on anything and they're cheap too.

In the mean time, I'm currently using D'addario and paying silly money for them.

pyramids on everything. strats, gibbys, tokai....or everly rockers are nice too.

I like the tone of D'Addario's but they just wouldn't last through a gig, so I use EB's coz they're as tough as old boots

GB

oldflame said:
Crumbs, I wish I could get Lays S.I.T. strings here in the UK again. They are the best on anything and they're cheap too.

In the mean time, I'm currently using D'addario and paying silly money for them.

Lee, how much are you paying for those d'ads?

Stringsdirect.co.uk sell triple packs for about a tenner, that's where I go for mine.

One of my locals charge ?8 a pack. EIGHT POUNDS. I've never set foot in that shop since I found out.

I think the best strings would be ... eh ... free! :D

I hop around from brand to brand. DRs are good and last longer than most IMO but they cost more. The Ernie Ball purple slinkies (with the lower end bass strings and 11s for the high E, I think ? wow are these great with a detuned Strat) have a great fat tone for Les Pauls, but I'm trying to stick to 9s or 10s to prevent another tendonitis incident, at least 9s on the Strats I play every day. Even the cheapy D?Addarios are basically OK. I think Ernie Ball Slinkies tend to discolor my fingertips more than most after awhile. I don't see a colossal difference in any brand in the 9-10 range. I've used Fenders on Gibsons and vice-versa. For jazz stuff on 11s I?ve enjoyed the DRs and the Thomastic-Infelds.

I buy strings at the local shop if they aren't too outrageous, because strings have a high gross margin and that's partly how they can stay in business, because they really don't move that many guitars or basses or amps. It's like film pays the bills at a camera shop. I think buying mega-cheap strings at some of the bigger Web sellers is bad overall, because it eventually hurts the little guys, and I want the little guys to stay around. The local Fender dealer just boarded up his place, and that is sad. I have bought a case or two of strings online in the past, but I try to spend it locally.

I think that given the overall decent quality of most major brand strings, that guitar picks can make more of a tonal difference. I use Dunlop Big Stubbies (3.0 mm thick) and while they take some getting used to, can produce a really fat tone, and the pinch harmonics are decent, too. The Pickboy CelTex heavies have better harmonics, but the Dunlops are fatter. They are rigid, totally inflexible. For the ultimate fat sound I use the edge of the pick - it's like a purple rock. They also make a triangle Big Stubby, but that seems like a drink coaster to me. Sound good, though.

While I'm rattling on (and off the topic, actually, as I usually do wander :roll:) I sometimes find some interesting pick-shaped tumbled stones at the local rock and mineral show that work well as picks. I've even used bits of clam shells when I lived in coastal New Jersey. I know someone who uses picks made out of old piano keys. I usually play with the Dunlop and two fingers. But I also play with just my fingers for some single-line stuff - I believe that gives the best overall control of the strings, although it beats up your skin. Clarence Gatemouth Brown just uses his fingers and that old guy can really fly around the fretboard!

I've been using DR 0.11-0.50 in my Tokai Loverock since summer, and I really like them. The sound lasts longer than in for example D'addarios (which I think are the worst, except the "pro arte" nylon strings) so they don't need to be changed so often. I also like the purple Ernie Balls (0.11-0.48), but I think the 0.48 E -string is a bit too "soft".
I have those purple slinky's in my ibanez jpm "shred guitar", but I think 0.10-0.52 would fit it better.

:eek: Love Rocks, Goldstars etc... Ernie Ball RPS Power Slinky 11's, on the Rickenbackers and Gretsch Pyrimids. They are the only string for a Rick 12! 8) TG

I've been using the purple Ernie Balls for seven years and I have no complaints. They last long and are big enough to fatten your tone up and still achieve ballsy bends and vibratos. I can't say enough how much I hate D'addario's! They don't last very long and while they have a snappy attack to them they seem to tonally deteriorate on me, so I stay away as much as possible. Electro-Harmonix makes great strings to as well as great tubes and effects, but that's just my personal opinion.

D'dardadardararioses are not the greatest strings, I agree, but they have a .0095 gauge which, IMO, is perfect for Strats - just enough stiffness but still highly bendable. Still wear out too soon, but they feel good. Maybe there's another brand out there that has 9.5s.

Just tried a set of Super Mullets .009s (great artwork, BTW) on a Silver Star and they seem very good. A Strat tuned half a step down with purple Slinkys rocks, though. Colossal bottom end.

Ah yes, back to the actual topic at hand - apologies all around :roll: I like GHS 10 nickels on a Les Paul - decent strings. Elevens gives my creaky, geezin' wrists tendinitis

http://www.univalve.net/forums_new/viewtopic.php?t=147

sobstrings.net

Read the reviews on Snake Oil Strings, i've been using them on my les paul for the last 6 months with out changing and they sound even better than the first day i put them on!

Latest posts

Back