Is my bridge in the right spot? - '80 Reborn Old

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard W.

Reaction score
I am having weird intonation probs with my 1980 LS-50.
I am starting to wonder if the bridge is in the right spot.
I've run out of movement at the saddles. I need to take some of them even closer to the nut and there's no more adjustment left.
Has this been a trend or an issue with these 29 year old beauties? :-?

That's why the Nashville bridge was developed - more saddle range.

You can flip saddles that you're having issue with so that the flat side the them face toward the tailpiece.....that will give you more range of movement.

Is this a new problem or has the guitar always been like that?

I notice intonation problems after my strings get way too old and worn. If you have new strings, are they the same gauge as before? If you changed string gauge the nut may not be cut right for it and could cause problems. Or possibly the nut needs a cleaning because dirt has built up under the strings?

Also, one time I got some cheap strings from a guitar center and they would not tune or intonate right no matter what I did. They were horrible- no wonder 10 sets were so inexspensive. I've never had a problem with D'Addario or other name brands.

My main concern is the D string.
I just turned the E, A and D saddles around tonight, restrung and reintontated.
The D is still flat and that saddle needs to go toward the nut. There is no more adjustment left.
Even with the saddle turned around it is not enough.
The other strings are ok.
Any suggstions for a Nashville bridge that would fit on the '80 Reborn Old? :roll:

Richard W. said:
Any suggstions for a Nashville bridge that would fit on the '80 Reborn Old? :roll:

Nah ... if I were you I'd stay with the ABR-1- style bridge ... maybe the saddles have worn off during the years ...
Try a new (reliced?) Faber bridge from togps with brass saddles ... at a reasonable price ... 8)
It would be a more accurate look for a LS50.
Give him a PM ... :wink:
Roger

tudor said:
Richard W. said:

Nah ... if I were you I'd stay with the ABR-1- style bridge ... maybe the saddles have worn off during the years ...
Try a new (reliced?) Faber bridge from togps with brass saddles ... at a reasonable price ... 8)
It would be a more accurate look for a LS50.
Give him a PM ... :wink:
Roger

+1 Tudor

I once had this problem on a customers 82 ( I think from memory) Loverock I set up about five years ago. It wouldn't quite intonate even with the saddle the best way around and at full adjust it was a few percent flat. I removed the bridge wound both height adjusters onto one post and gently tapped with a small hammer in the direction I needed to go. ( dont go mad! ) Swap adjusters to other post and repeat, dont forget to protect the front of the body in case you slip. Be very careful but it worked a treat for me, intonated perfectly! But if you hit it too hard and the finish around the bottom of the post cracks or chips don't sue me! :wink:

Simon

dontfret! said:
gently tapped witH a hammer

Simon

Hmmm....that's an interesting thought.
Are we trying to gently bend the studs?

I have a Faber ABR on the way. I don't think that this will make a diff, but I'll give it a shot.
If not, I'll ever so gently try your idea. :eek:

i strongly recomend to measure carefully. I've been through the replacement story.

if it's a faber (i.e. togps) and you have a MIJ it will work. if she is from korea it will not.

rup

The Faber bridge fit perfectly.
But as I suspected, it allowed no more forward movement of the saddles than the original bridge did. So no help there.
However that hammer did work as suggested. :-?

Latest posts

Back