Different tops on the LS-models?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peksi

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the sound of LS-60 - LS-75? I see the only difference (except for the LS-75S, which has different pickups) in those guitars is the top of the body. LS-60 has a maple top, LS-65 has a maple2pcs top (what is that, actually?), LS-70F has a flamed sycamore laminated top and the LS75Q has a quilted maple laminated top. So... I'd guess there is some sound difference, but how much, and what sort of difference?

The 2 piece top is basically 2 pieces of maple that are fitted together to create the top of the guitar. This is overlayed on a piece of mahagony.

My thoughts are these different woods definately affect the sound characterics of the guitar.

Hmm... it seems like Gibsons mostly have maple tops... So why does Tokai use other woods? And also, what is an AAAA Flame Maple Top?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peksi on 2001-12-28 09:43 ]</font>

AAAA Flame Top means that the top has a really nice flame or swirl to the wood.

I haven't checked Gibson's lately but I'm sure cost is a reason for some of the tops. Also Gibson used to use mahagony for their tops but have switched to maple. The LS320's have mahogony tops which make them more of a true replica than the Gibson models. I think only the Customs had mahagony tops.

Back