Any suggestions for warm, fat sounding strat pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechadz03

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a maple neck springy sound guitar with e series pickups but I find it to be too thin sounding for my taste. Please can anyone suggest any nice pickups which will give a fuller, thicker tone? I love hendrix and stevie ray vaughn if that is any help (though I think they have slightly different tones to make it difficult!). I'm considering some vintage series 'tone rider' pickups as they are quite cheap and sound pretty good. Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback about those toneriders.

Cheers!

There have been many, many threads about this in the last few months, there was even one a couple of days ago, so please make use of the SEARCH button to read through some of them. It will be worth half an hour of your time just to look through old threads to find the comments made.

In summary, Fender Texas Specials are a common choice for "The SRV sound", but in practice, using 13 to 56 strings and a very high action will get you closer than anything, regardless of the pickups!

Mike

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your answer and I realise there have been other similar threads.... I have indeed had a search already and read many of them. I just wanted to see if anyone could give a specific recommendation for getting that hendrixy tone as many of the recommendations lack description of the actual tone quality or amount to something quite general like 'vintage sounding' (which is fine but I was looking for further description).

Sorry if this is kind a hard questions to answer as it is like three separate questions rolled into one! My apologies I should be clearer!

Part of what I was asking was that since I'm thinking of getting tone rider pickups, I just wanted a bit of feedback from anyone who has experienced them and which, if any, gives a hendrix like tone?

Thanks a lot for your advice on getting SRV tone... I know he used thick strings and a high action but I don't think my fingers can handle that abuse! I wil check out the texas specials on youtube tho for another strat I can possibly modify.

Cheers.

To sound like Hendrix:

Use stock late 60s Strats - upside down
Turn your amp up to 10
Make sure your fingers grow 50% longer than most people's fingers
Take shedloads of every drug you can find

:wink: :lol:

if you do get toneriders, could you please post what you think of them? I was thinking about getting one of their pickups (probably the alnico IV one) for my edwards, as the JB is just way too hot and modern-sounding. I know that what you think of the strat pickups won't tell me if i'll like their humbuckers :)lol: ), but it's better than nothing, and should at least give me an idea of the rough quality of their products.

I'm also considering a couple of their pedals, too, i've been hearing good things... :)

Thanks! :)

Great page Mr. Dice. Though it's hard to make out the differences through typical PC speakers, sadly.

thanks a lot for the replies.

I will check out that pickups comparison site. I might try and get some GFS Jimi pickups to get his tone ..... that will be an easier option than growing my fingers by 50%!!

GFS is very good kit for the money.

I put a set of their Vintage 59's (I think) in an Epiphone SG400 of mine and it made a huge difference.

Very reasonable prices too as I recall. :D

Latest posts

Back