Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blackheart Little Giant Top-New toy in da house ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWW wrote:
Hope that makes sense.

YES ... it does ... Thanks for your advice ...
I hate shipping the whole stuff ...
Roger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWW wrote:
Hi Guy's

Just resurrecting this post as I've recently bought one off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAT-HOTROD-BLACKHEART-5-WATT-VALVE-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ350097546672QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350097546672&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

It's not that actual one but it's identical. Following my experimentation with power scaling on my little fender champ 600 I wanted something else to compare it to. I actually bought the first one of these that Andy did but it didn't have a master volume switch, which I thought was needed, so when he stated adding extras I returned it for an upgrade which Andy very kindly did just for the cost of the parts.

It absolutely smokes - I'm a bit sad to say that whilst my little Champ is nice but it's no comparrison! The subtle creamy harmonic overtones I can get from this thing are amazing. The addition of the valve rectifier is particularly nice and the revoiced tone stack and switchable 6V6 output valve makes it really versatile. I'm stoked

Oh yes, and I took tudors idea of a Holy Grail Reverb and it's all that's needed to go from Jaz through blues, stevie, hendrix AC/DC and beyond.

If anyone is looking for a nice amp, particularly for home use, I can really recommend one of these.

Dave

Gah, I was doing so well and all.

I just caved too. Should arrive on Tues/Weds... I may even do some videos (damage by ham-fisted couriers notwithstanding!)
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dreaded AAS - Amp Aquisition Syndrome that sneeks up as you're recovering from GAS - and you have to be careful how you say it

It will be great to here someone elses opinion on these. Mines growing on me even more. Looking forward to some videos too

Let us know when you get it.

Dave
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanN, I've just heared Daves amp, you won't be dissapointed, it's a fantastic sounding little beast, I'm quite tempted myself
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Dave, what are you guys doing for reverb? The only beefs I have with the head is the lack of 'verb and an effects loop to run one through. Can you can recommend a good inline reverb pedal?
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan - Dave uses a Holy Grail pedal in-line between guitar & amp which sounds pretty good to me, Ive read a few people, on the Orangs amps forum, who don't rate them, and bang on about the T-Rex Roommate. but to my ears the holy grail does a very good impersonation of a good spring reverb!

I don't bother

The amp has an FX loop doesn't it? There are always loads of cheap rack mounted reverbs on ebay. Something like this might be worth a go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALTO-AVERB-24-32-Bit-Digital-Effects-Module-Reverb_W0QQitemZ260224722850QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260224722850&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers John! Nope, no FX loop (not even on the RAT ones). At the back on the standard LG you have five speaker outputs (!!!), the modded one has a footswitch socket and a line out.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanN wrote:
Cheers John! Nope, no FX loop (not even on the RAT ones). At the back on the standard LG you have five speaker outputs (!!!), the modded one has a footswitch socket and a line out.

I'm sure Dave's had an FX loop, could be wrong though. If not I would stick to a pedal, running line level stuff in front of an amp usually gives pretty bad results.

I'm sure Dave will be along to give you a review of the Holy Grail, but I thought it was pretty good!
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Alan's right - no effects loop.

I like the Holy Grail reverb pedal and tend only to use it on clean tones up to about a quarter of a full turn. For distorted valve tones I prefer the to leave it unmodified so you get the nice but subtle valve rectifier fade/swell effect etc.

I think both the hall and spring reverbs are nice and the pedal good value for money. Not much of a fan of the flurb (flange/reverb) effect but I guess that's just taste. There are likely to be better pedals around but at c?54 I think it's a very good deal and sounds really nice to my ears. The TRex Room-Mate might be better but I haven't tried one and it costs over ?200!

Dave
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, much obliged - for the little I use it, I don't think the Room-Mate is for me! I'll cadge a Holy Grail from a friendly local store and give it a bash.
highway_star
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bumping this about the rat hot rod blackheart - there is an e-bay sale now that does have an effects loop on the back. Have to say it looks the business and probably matches the Blackstar 5W thats getting good reviews.

One thing (I am ignorant of valve amps and cabinets etc.) - it has two speaker connections at the back with a 4/8/16 ohm switch. Just how would this work and just how loud could this thing go if it can hook up to two external cabs?! Andy gave me a basic reply on e-bay but when I saw this link on Google I thought I could get ideas from users!
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highway_star wrote:
Just how would this work and just how loud could this thing go if it can hook up to two external cabs?! Andy gave me a basic reply on e-bay but when I saw this link on Google I thought I could get ideas from users!

Well ... it's loud ... too loud for an appartement but I'm afraid not loud enough if you're used to play in a band ... I'd use my DRRI then ...
For me it's OK and gives me a full load of nice cranked up tubes sound due to the four 12" speakers ...
Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: