Goldstar TST-60 on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratman323 said:
Nice, but ?419 is an optimistic starting price! He should be happy if he gets that.

I think ?419 is a very good price. You see ST50's going for almost that sort of money, just the rarity value of an ST60 is enough to put ?100 on the price tag IMO, plus it's white/maple :D

AlanN said:
There was a guy on preloved saying his LS90 was the "top of the range" too the other day. Hell's teeth...

yeah. i think the trick is to just not listen to what the seller is saying, unless you ask for black-and-white info (such as serial #).

and if it's so desirable, why's he selling? :lol: that's what i always wonder.

bluejeannot said:
Well Stratman ,you are partly right. Tokai used both Sen ash and swamp ash for guitar bodies . Sen ash is not a true ash at all but a good sounding member of the ivy family.Swamp ash Is Ash grown with its toes in the water and as such does not nescessarily have to be from the U.S. The best example I Know of Tokai`s use of Sen is youreST60 pictured here.and for a good example of swamp ash seeSee njnall`s post on Saturday Jan 03 entitled,Was this once an St 50?.His St 55 on photo bucket shows the subtle but unmistakable difference between the two species.Gabe.

if you don't mind my asking, what is the subtle but unmistakable difference? :)

When looking through the Vintage(pre'85) forum there was a post from Richard89 [21/03/08] asking for ID of his goldstar, that was confirmed as an ST50 with IIV pickups. That seems to be the thing with Tokai the only consistency is inconsistency. I recently purchased a set of IIV pickups for my Tokai and have replaced the Schaller, so now have not quite white pickup covers so the guitar looks a little more original.....let loose with a soldering iron and the guitar still plays! :D

Dave_Mc said:
and if it's so desirable, why's he selling? :lol: that's what i always wonder

True, but it can be just personal taste. I sold that gorgeous Dakota Red Fender Custom Shop Strat because the neck was too chunky for me. But it was actually one of the nicest Strats I've ever seen, sounded excellent too. But it was better suited to the Polish guy who bought it - he was about 6'4", & the neck didn't seem big to him!

settebello said:
You're right,but the ST50 Springys have 3-piece bodys,makes me wonder why they would change the specs for the goldies. :eek:

Volker

I agree, I'm sure you're right, even if it would be hard to prove without stripping the finish from 90% of them!

stratman323 said:
True, but it can be just personal taste. I sold that gorgeous Dakota Red Fender Custom Shop Strat because the neck was too chunky for me. But it was actually one of the nicest Strats I've ever seen, sounded excellent too. But it was better suited to the Polish guy who bought it - he was about 6'4", & the neck didn't seem big to him!

yeah, i know. i'm just pointing it out. any time anyone tries to sell me something too hard i get suspicious... :)

bluejeannot said:
Well Stratman ,you are partly right. Tokai used both Sen ash and swamp ash for guitar bodies . Sen ash is not a true ash at all but a good sounding member of the ivy family.Swamp ash Is Ash grown with its toes in the water and as such does not nescessarily have to be from the U.S. The best example I Know of Tokai`s use of Sen is youreST60 pictured here.and for a good example of swamp ash seeSee njnall`s post on Saturday Jan 03 entitled,Was this once an St 50?.His St 55 on photo bucket shows the subtle but unmistakable difference between the two species.Gabe.

if you don't mind my asking, what is the subtle but unmistakable difference? :)[/quote] The subtle but unmistakable difference is of course ,tadpoles. Tadpoles are never seen anywhere near a sen ash guitar,but if you look carefully you may occasionally see them them frolicking under the scratchplate of a swamp ash Strat. Honestly!

Back