Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goldstar TST-60 on ebay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy on preloved saying his LS90 was the "top of the range" too the other day. Hell's teeth...
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
But in a recent post, someone (settebello?) posted pics of an ST60, & it had VIIs. I thought we had established that was the difference between a 50 & a 60?

They're only V-stamp(not VII) and the biggest difference,imho,is the 2-piece body.

Volker
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: alder grain. Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
makaze wrote:
Can someone please post picks of archetypal Alder grain, Ash grain. I have taken a st-80 in part x and he asures me it's sump ash and was only available on a custom order.

My understanding (from this forum) is that 80s "ash" Tokais were Sen, a Japanese (or Oriental) type of ash. Swamp ash is (I believe) a North American wood, & is sometimes used by Fender.

OK, a few examples:

1980 Springy ST60 - Sen:

1980 Breezy TE70 - Sen (scratchplate removed):

2004 Fender US 63 Tele - Ash:

1982 Fender US62RI - definitely Alder:

ESP Series 400, date unknown, now a 58 relic. I assume this is Alder:

1982/3 Silver Strat SS36 or 38 - Alder

I think they are all fairly typical. Does this help?
Well Stratman ,you are partly right. Tokai used both Sen ash and swamp ash for guitar bodies . Sen ash is not a true ash at all but a good sounding member of the ivy family.Swamp ash Is Ash grown with its toes in the water and as such does not nescessarily have to be from the U.S. The best example I Know of Tokai`s use of Sen is youreST60 pictured here.and for a good example of swamp ash seeSee njnall`s post on Saturday Jan 03 entitled,Was this once an St 50?.His St 55 on photo bucket shows the subtle but unmistakable difference between the two species.Gabe.
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: st-60 Goldstars Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:
And here's another Goldstar ST60! Very nice one too!

Nice, but ?419 is an optimistic starting price! He should be happy if he gets that.

I see he couldn't resist the use of the word "lawsuit".
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

settebello wrote:
They're only V-stamp(not VII) and the biggest difference,imho,is the 2-piece body.

Volker

Oh, I wonder where I got the idea they were VII?

So many ST50s & 55s are solid colours, it's hard to tell how many pieces make up the body.
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

So many ST50s & 55s are solid colours, it's hard to tell how many pieces make up the body.

You're right,but the ST50 Springys have 3-piece bodys,makes me wonder why they would change the specs for the goldies.

Volker
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: st-60 Goldstars Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

Nice, but ?419 is an optimistic starting price! He should be happy if he gets that.

I think ?419 is a very good price. You see ST50's going for almost that sort of money, just the rarity value of an ST60 is enough to put ?100 on the price tag IMO, plus it's white/maple
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had you pegged for a red/rosewood fan, <strike>mark</strike> John
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanN wrote:
I had you pegged for a red/rosewood fan, <strike>mark</strike> John

Very funny Alan

Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: alder grain. Reply with quote

AlanN wrote:
There was a guy on preloved saying his LS90 was the "top of the range" too the other day. Hell's teeth...

yeah. i think the trick is to just not listen to what the seller is saying, unless you ask for black-and-white info (such as serial #).

and if it's so desirable, why's he selling? that's what i always wonder.

bluejeannot wrote:
Well Stratman ,you are partly right. Tokai used both Sen ash and swamp ash for guitar bodies . Sen ash is not a true ash at all but a good sounding member of the ivy family.Swamp ash Is Ash grown with its toes in the water and as such does not nescessarily have to be from the U.S. The best example I Know of Tokai`s use of Sen is youreST60 pictured here.and for a good example of swamp ash seeSee njnall`s post on Saturday Jan 03 entitled,Was this once an St 50?.His St 55 on photo bucket shows the subtle but unmistakable difference between the two species.Gabe.

if you don't mind my asking, what is the subtle but unmistakable difference?
njnall
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking through the Vintage(pre'85) forum there was a post from Richard89 [21/03/08] asking for ID of his goldstar, that was confirmed as an ST50 with IIV pickups. That seems to be the thing with Tokai the only consistency is inconsistency. I recently purchased a set of IIV pickups for my Tokai and have replaced the Schaller, so now have not quite white pickup covers so the guitar looks a little more original.....let loose with a soldering iron and the guitar still plays!
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: alder grain. Reply with quote

Dave_Mc wrote:
and if it's so desirable, why's he selling? that's what i always wonder

True, but it can be just personal taste. I sold that gorgeous Dakota Red Fender Custom Shop Strat because the neck was too chunky for me. But it was actually one of the nicest Strats I've ever seen, sounded excellent too. But it was better suited to the Polish guy who bought it - he was about 6'4", & the neck didn't seem big to him!
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

settebello wrote:
You're right,but the ST50 Springys have 3-piece bodys,makes me wonder why they would change the specs for the goldies.

Volker

I agree, I'm sure you're right, even if it would be hard to prove without stripping the finish from 90% of them!
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: alder grain. Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

True, but it can be just personal taste. I sold that gorgeous Dakota Red Fender Custom Shop Strat because the neck was too chunky for me. But it was actually one of the nicest Strats I've ever seen, sounded excellent too. But it was better suited to the Polish guy who bought it - he was about 6'4", & the neck didn't seem big to him!

yeah, i know. i'm just pointing it out. any time anyone tries to sell me something too hard i get suspicious...
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: alder grain. Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:

if you don't mind my asking, what is the subtle but unmistakable difference? [/quote] The subtle but unmistakable difference is of course ,tadpoles. Tadpoles are never seen anywhere near a sen ash guitar,but if you look carefully you may occasionally see them them frolicking under the scratchplate of a swamp ash Strat. Honestly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: