Goldstar TST-60 on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E pickups? I thought we established, in a recent post, that a Goldie ST60 was exactly the same as an ST50 except that it had VII pickups rather than Us or VIs?

Is that alder? I don't recall ever seing such a grain-free piece of alder - looks more like basswood. I know Fender Japan used basswood in the 80s, but I don't think Tokai did?

Mike

Well, my 50 had U's, presumably a 60 in the same run would have had E's?
I'm guessing the early Goldstar runs were identical to the Springys, apart from the name, and used the same pickups.
I agree the wood looks plain, but the routing seems very Tokai to me.

/Magnus

My 50s have Us (well the black one has unstamped pickups!), my 55s (both now gone) had VIs. But in a recent post, someone (settebello?) posted pics of an ST60, & it had VIIs. I thought we had established that was the difference between a 50 & a 60?

I agree the routing looks fine, I'm not suggesting it's not genuine, just very plain alder.

I've seen a few on Yahoo japan that are stickered 60 on the necks and have had "E" pups. Maybe the VI / VII is a European thing.

All St-50's I've looked in have had VI's.

Can someone please post picks of archetypal Alder grain, Ash grain. I have taken a st-80 in part x and he asures me it's sump ash and was only available on a custom order.

It was bought by a guy in Japan who married on Irish girl who gave it a sister who's husband part exed it with me. He didn't seem to be bragging about this body wood but he seemed uneasy. I got it for a very good price so I'm not worried just very curious. I can't post pics at mo becuase my nipper has stood on my camera. The grain is unlike anything I've seen
but I'm positive it is a genuine Tokai.

SO if anyone's got some stange grained spiringy can they post a pic.

makaze said:
Can someone please post picks of archetypal Alder grain, Ash grain. I have taken a st-80 in part x and he asures me it's sump ash and was only available on a custom order.

My understanding (from this forum) is that 80s "ash" Tokais were Sen, a Japanese (or Oriental) type of ash. Swamp ash is (I believe) a North American wood, & is sometimes used by Fender.

OK, a few examples:

1980 Springy ST60 - Sen:

128_2880.jpg

1980 Breezy TE70 - Sen (scratchplate removed):

149_4947.jpg

2004 Fender US 63 Tele - Ash:

113_1378.jpg

1982 Fender US62RI - definitely Alder:

IMG_0952.jpg

ESP Series 400, date unknown, now a 58 relic. I assume this is Alder:

IMG_1116.jpg

1982/3 Silver Strat SS36 or 38 - Alder

133_3400c.jpg

I think they are all fairly typical. Does this help?

makaze said:

I think that VIs replaced Us in Goldies after about the first year of production, so Us in 1984, VIs after 1985. But I'm not sure about this - can anyone else confirm (or deny) this?

Thanks for the pics stratman. i'l post this wierd grain springy pics this week i'd be interested in your opinion. it certainly looks nothing like these although i have ha d a similar looking grain before.

my st-80 is def alder, some others i'm still unsure of.

the code for dekota red is OVR, on a goldstar anyway.

OVR? Never heard of that. It isn't listed as a colour in the 1985 catalogue, the only one I have from that era. Do you have a Dakota Red Goldie?

makaze, I'm totally confused by "sump ash" - seems there's only Framus who even use the term. Does it look like any of the following?

prs_avail016.jpg

Rear of this one, not the maple top:
092593_e22f.jpg

stratman323 said:
makaze said:

I think that VIs replaced Us in Goldies after about the first year of production, so Us in 1984, VIs after 1985. But I'm not sure about this - can anyone else confirm (or deny) this?

My Goldstar ST-50 has 'U''s

And here's another Goldstar ST60! Very nice one too!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-1984-Tokai-Goldstar-TST60-Guitar-Case-Lawsuit_W0QQitemZ120379082391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item120379082391&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

^ i saw that one when i was looking through ebay yesterday- it does look very nice. not too convinced by part of the sellers description, though-

"This is the TST60 model which is the most desirable Goldstar model."

apparently the criteria for being the most desirable model is now, "the one i happen to be selling".

:roll: :lol:

stratman323 said:
But in a recent post, someone (settebello?) posted pics of an ST60, & it had VIIs. I thought we had established that was the difference between a 50 & a 60?
They're only V-stamp(not VII) and the biggest difference,imho,is the 2-piece body.

Volker

stratman323 said:
makaze said:

My understanding (from this forum) is that 80s "ash" Tokais were Sen, a Japanese (or Oriental) type of ash. Swamp ash is (I believe) a North American wood, & is sometimes used by Fender.

OK, a few examples:

1980 Springy ST60 - Sen:

128_2880.jpg

1980 Breezy TE70 - Sen (scratchplate removed):

149_4947.jpg

2004 Fender US 63 Tele - Ash:

113_1378.jpg

1982 Fender US62RI - definitely Alder:

IMG_0952.jpg

ESP Series 400, date unknown, now a 58 relic. I assume this is Alder:

IMG_1116.jpg

1982/3 Silver Strat SS36 or 38 - Alder

133_3400c.jpg

I think they are all fairly typical. Does this help?
Well Stratman ,you are partly right. Tokai used both Sen ash and swamp ash for guitar bodies . Sen ash is not a true ash at all but a good sounding member of the ivy family.Swamp ash Is Ash grown with its toes in the water and as such does not nescessarily have to be from the U.S. The best example I Know of Tokai`s use of Sen is youreST60 pictured here.and for a good example of swamp ash seeSee njnall`s post on Saturday Jan 03 entitled,Was this once an St 50?.His St 55 on photo bucket shows the subtle but unmistakable difference between the two species.Gabe.

JohnA said:
And here's another Goldstar ST60! Very nice one too!

Nice, but ?419 is an optimistic starting price! He should be happy if he gets that.

I see he couldn't resist the use of the word "lawsuit". :evil:

settebello said:
They're only V-stamp(not VII) and the biggest difference,imho,is the 2-piece body.

Volker

Oh, I wonder where I got the idea they were VII? :-?

So many ST50s & 55s are solid colours, it's hard to tell how many pieces make up the body.

Back