Who owns and operates this forum.

Place to provide feedback for site improvements.

Moderator: ned

makaze
Guitar God

Who owns and operates this forum.

Post by makaze » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:43 am

Seeing as everyone knows the registry is out of date and would like it ammended and continually modded it seems odd no one is actually doing so.

Someone pays for the site do we know who??
Was this an individuals hobby or is it part of a business strategy for sellers?

WHo appoints the moderators, can they explain the impasse of the registry and who owns it.

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:02 am

I do.

Why is the registry out of date?

It was originally setup to crack the serial number code which has been done, that was the only purpose for the registry. Now it's there as a way to share info about your guitars.

If there is an impasse at the registry it's simply because people are not using it.

The site - mainly just this forum generates enough income to pay for itself, there is no other strategy beyond that currently. I was traveling all last week and will be in the hospital starting tomorrow so there are times when I "disappear" but normally only just for day job traveling.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Some of the areas that needed updating have now been done. For example, the registry now makes it clear that there were both block decal Springys & Goldstars in 1983 - it used to say there were only Springys.

I think that the bit about the date the headstock shape changed could do with amending, though it is rather complicated. By 1985, Goldstars for the US market had the modified headstock shape and were called AST**. In the UK, it appears that Goldstars with the "correct" headstock shape were available until the end of the 80s, though it's hard to establish a reliable date. It would be good if the "dating" section could reflect this.

I accept that it will be hard to fit all this stuff into a small space though. But it would be nice to expand the information available there in order to answer the same old questions that get asked in the forum week after week.

It would also be good if Andrew Munro's article from last year's Guitar & Bass mag could be posted somewhere so that newbies to Tokais could read it as an introduction to the Tokai Fender clones - again, it answers many of the usual questions. I can provide scans, if that helps.

But, I don't want to be associated with any criticism of the running of the forum/registry. I think Ned & his colleagues do a great job in running & managing the whole thing, & they should be proud of what they have achieved.

Mike

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:03 pm

If someone would scan the article in a PDF and send it to me I'll post it on the site.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 pm

I scanned it as a jpg. I'll check to see if my scanner will also do pdfs - I think it does.

Ozeshin
Guitar God

Post by Ozeshin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:49 am

WHo appoints the moderators, can they explain the impasse of the registry and who owns it.
I asked Ned if I could help him moderate some of the forums due to the fact that he's busy traveling and not always available...me...I'm here every day..sad i know.
My Tokai knowledge is pretty much limited to the Love Rock series and even then I learn something new every day.
My specialty is the obscure MiJ brands and digging up info on them....love being the MiJ detective 8)

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:11 am

Actually my travel schedule is greatly reduced to almost nothing since I got laid off from HP in December. New job doesn't require hardly any traveling.

Oze- you are a moderator on the Tokai portion of the forum.
Last edited by ned on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_Mc
Guitar God

Post by Dave_Mc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:30 am

stratman323 wrote:
But, I don't want to be associated with any criticism of the running of the forum/registry. I think Ned & his colleagues do a great job in running & managing the whole thing, & they should be proud of what they have achieved.

Mike
+1 on that, it's not perfect but it's darn good. i've got a lot of help from the registry even in the short amount of time i've been into japanese copies, and i'd have struggled to get such detailed info anywhere else. :)

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:16 am

ned wrote:If someone would scan the article in a PDF and send it to me I'll post it on the site.
Done. PM sent, as I don't think I can send attachments on here, so I will need an e.mail ad.

SUSHI GUY
Guitar God

Post by SUSHI GUY » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Why we don't have "Fender Japan" section on this forum??

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

Post by leadguitar_323 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm not too sure at the moment but Tokai have made Fender Japan in recent years so it may as well stay as it is .

Mick
so many guitars....so little money...