Just some advice on Tokai original basses.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makaze

Reaction score
High, I bought a original series Tokai Bass just before xmas for a friend of Yahoo. It had some damage and issues which I managed to sort out.

I bought if for around ?140 delivered and taxed. The necks on these are so narrow and thin they are very easy to play for people with samllish hands, which my friend has.

We heard it loud for the first time yesterday along side a 1977 precision and 1982 jazz and it held its own.

So for anyone with little hand get on Yahoo japan and get a bargain, these guiatr are on there all the time and noone seems to compete for them.

The model I got was a 80,000 yen one with gold hardware......1984. Maaaaaaan. The neck rosewood is stunning as well.

makaze said:
The neck rosewood is stunning as well.

Tokai used some gorgeous rosewood in the 80s, even on quite basic models.

1984 Goldstar ST50 (which would have sold for around ?189 in London in 1984):

125_2552.jpg

125_2550.jpg

Mike

The Tokai"s are replicas of the Fender Bass, Jazz Sound Bass's have a tapered neck and Hard Punchers have a wider neck like a P-Bass if you have small hands get a 3/4 scale bass which ive never seen on a Tokai

The early '80s Hard Punchers have the same neck width as the fender B necks, found on Precisions in the late '60s and onwards, replacing the wider C necks that were found erlier.

C necks were still available as special orders, though.

Latest posts

Back