White Burny LP Randy Rhoads

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

My mate owns a white Burny LP that he bought about 10 years ago, & he'd like to know a bit more about it - when it was made, what it's worth, the usual stuff. He's not looking to sell it though.

It's been sadly neglected, & it's filthy. I'll clean it up & restring it over the next day or two so I can try it out properly, but I've taken some pics of how it is now. I imagine that somebody will want to see the bottom of the pickups, so I'll do those pics when I restring it.

150_5030.jpg

150_5032.jpg

150_5048.jpg

150_5039.jpg

150_5053.jpg

150_5043.jpg

150_5044.jpg

150_5046.jpg

150_5047.jpg

150_5041.jpg

He tells me that it had Randy Rhoads written on the scratchplate, which I guess help to narrow down which model it is. Even I know that it's a LP Custom copy. Gold hardware - well worn, brass nut, & what looks like fret edge binding to me.

So, what can you tell me about it?

Mike

Mike,

This one is one of the first RR-70(LC-70) Fernandes/Burny "signature" series somewhere between '83-'85 I guess. I tried one similar to this and I liked it.
Good guitar. There were also Ritchie Blackmore, another Randy Rhoads V model guitars and some bases as well......

Thanks luis, I knew somebody would know something about it. Does anyone have any idea what sort of money these sell for? Just out of curiosity really.

And can anyone comment on the neck tenon? It doesn't look like a long tenon to me, but this is not really my area of expertise.

It is a nice guitar, & I was enjoying playing it last night after cleaning it up and restringing it. I don't remember the last time I played a guitar that had rust on the frets! I suppose someone really should go over the frets with wire wool to clean them up properly, but I'm not volunteering for that job on someone else's guitar.

I do like it, but I couldn't live with it - it's SO heavy! I got some decent scales yesterday, & it's 11 pounds 3 ounces - 5120 grams. It even slips off my knee when I play it sitting down. My lightest Tele weighs 6 pounds 11 ounces!!

It looks a bit better now it's cleaned up.

150_5071.jpg

Yes Mick, Greco and Fernandes/Burny share some models with very few differences in certain years (Fuji Gen Gakki made both brands).

Mike, I have seen this kind of tenon in other Burnys post 1.987 models with "split" diamond headstock inlay(LC-70). Weight is excesive(4,5 is my top in a LP style guitar) to me and a good reason to sell it,I recall the RR I tried was not so heavy.

I was checking to find Fernandes catalog showing Musician Series but I?m not able to find it.I?ll send it toyou if I find it.

Thanks for the information guys. So how would you describe that tenon? Long? Short? Medium?

And could anyone give me an idea of how much these guitars sell for?

Thanks.

700 euro is a good price for it as far as it?s an uncommon model.

stratman323 said:
I have no idea, as I said, it's not my guitar.

sorry about that.

I did try to search the net though. As I understand, yep..they come with vh1s.

I had one of these.
Great sounding guitars but soooooooo Heavy.

Sold mine for about ?400 Three years ago.

Had a couple of these, this one is a keeper. Just need to replace that horrible shiney new gold bit.
P1010229.jpg

P1010230.jpg

P1010232.jpg

P1010234.jpg

do the RR models have a maple or a maho top? My guess is maple.

Looks like one example there has the VH4 pickups; nice sounding pups ........

11 & some odd pounds :eek: :evil:

Think I will stick with the all maho black Burny RLC, 2 & 3 pup models; the ones I've owned have all been under 9 lb. & VH4 equipped :) .............

Judging by the weight of the **** thing, my mate's one had a cast iron top! I'm glad my two Tokai GTs are a fair bit lighter.

Back