help with my EGF model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toybitz

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought this EGF from a friend.

Its PUs aren't original anymore. The guy who sold this to my friend gave him ACH (ibanez) PUs. My friend in turn, bought a Yamaha beck(from SG800s) PU and Gibson 500T (bridge).

The tuners arent original too.

Here are the pictures..

DSC01547.jpg

DSC01548.jpg

DSC01549.jpg

DSC01550.jpg

DSC01551.jpg

I hope you can help me..

Thanks in advance.

Bitoy

that's bad news for me....

maybe there's only one super real model that doesn't have that volute at the neck...

my friend had it refretted. he gigs a lot and uses elevens...

i got a comment from another member...

that she's a mint collection with a left over super real neck..

here are more pictures that i hope helps identify her...

DSC01552.jpg

DSC01555.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

DSC01557.jpg

DSC01558.jpg

DSC01559.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

1982 was the last of the superreals, and the beginning of the mints, so there was some transition, but I would think, without the original PU's its not possible to say if it falls into the mint, or superreal, or both, because for transition guitars with the left over superreal necks, they did not normally have the superreal logo, just the fret binding, so there are 2 possibilities.. its a superreal, and would have had either PU-2 or dimarzio''s, or its a transition, with the superreal logo left on the neck, and would have had the double trick/screamin or dry 1982 mint PU's..

since the main difference between the mint and the superreals was the neck thickness, (discounting the different PU's) then its more superreal than mint and so I would class it as a superreal...

hope that helps/ makes sense...

does it though? look at the first pic, although there seems to be a long tenon, the neck also appears to end before the tenon joint!!

i have never seen that before....wierd....

its interesting as super real necks would not have been made with the long tenon in most late era cases....

just shows ..heh who knows whats what...

2 former owners back.... the buyer and seller who's infamous for keeping the good stuff used to say he had a dry humbucker.

if...if...this Paul had that Dry Bucker, what model could this be?

EGF850?

I have a transitional too. No. 2 003x
It has the rounded belly of the Super Real and the G*bson correct plastic inlays of the MC. It also have long tenon. Only the lip part has totaly reached the pickup cavity before routing, thats why it looks a bit strange.
It seems some late Super Reals has routed fretboard marker holes. i.e. there is a radius at the pointy ends of the fretmarkers, filled with coloured glue as with the Mint series.

The early Super Reals (Before CNC?) and these leftovers seems to have had the points cut out of the holes instead (no radius). Thats nice!
I have what seems to be Brazilian rosewood on mine.
But since mine is of EGF1200 colour and has DRY 1982, and also fat "Bumblebee?" capacitors, it might bee of higer range than yours.

Ive seen a transitional with fretend but with Double Trick so that is no clue of range with these transitionals.

Here she is now...

I installed vh1s from my burny but they were too boomy and added more mids...too nasal for an already middy Paul..

..this one's paired with Alnico Pro 2s..much better

mygrecosuperrealLP.jpg

It's a transition from 82. Absolutely sure.
They way the logo and the binding has gotten yellow with over the years is typical for the MC. I have Super Reals from each year and they don't get yellow like that. However, all my Mint Collections and transitions are yellow. Probably different clear coat and material.
IMO....Just as well be wrong.

I've noticed the yellow binding on alot of the mint collections but, I think it was made to look like that, same as the amber knobs and switchtips are pre-aged looking because, they are poly finishes so they shouldn't age or turn yellow?

Latest posts

Back