This has bemused me for years...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby

Reaction score
I have had this bass for about 8 years now and I am wondering if anyone can shed some light as to how old it is etc. Just a brief history.

I bought it second hand and initially it had frets but a previous owner had them removed.

It has black machine heads and looks identical to the Red TW36 as featured in the 1999 catalogue.

Any feedback would be fantastic.

Ross

More info

"Bass Revolution Works Produced by Tokai"

Serial Number:

ANY ideas at all....

The TW series as released in 1988 and had 3 models, TW451, TW551 and TW801. The finish depended on whether the machine heads were black but the controls should help to narrow it down.
The TW801 had an ash body with 1xVol,1xTone and 1x Balancer knobs. The colours were generally see-thru, whereas the other 2 models came in All-White or All-black with 2xVol and 2x Tone knobs

peter

I have a fretless bass with piezoelectric pickups, but I know only very little about it. I bought it second hand in 1991 from a fellow, who bought it in Japan.
It also says "Bass revolution works produced by Tokai" on the head and the serial nr. is probably 120 (its the only ID found on the bass - a sticker with "120"). At the top of the head there's a pearl inlay looking like a pair of wings or the horns of an animal.

Its very high quality work with ivory fingerboard (no marks) and its a light yellowish wooden body (see-thru finish). It might be a TW801 (as it has 3 controls and probably made of ash). It has no pickups visible (except for the piezoz on the bridge). The tuning knobs and the bridge are black - I guess it's Schaller - the bridge are most likely a Schaller 3-DP4 - but the wellknown "S" are not to be found. Finally there's a lot of electronic in there requiring a 9V battery - guess it's because of the piezos..? The sound is outstanding- Pino Palladino-style !, when controls are properly set.

Does anyone know more of this kind of bass? When was it made, how many are there out there ....etc?

Johan

Back