Love Rock Customs?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_Felver

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole Tokai world, and I was thinking of selling my Agile LP to fund a LS-75 or something around there, and would it be a reasonable upgrade? I have a new set of pickups in there and it sounds really good, but how much better would the Tokai be, just based on workmanship alone, how about tone?

Also, are modern Tokai Love Rock Customs that uncommon? I haven't really seen any on ebay. I am looking more towards a mid of the line model, not a $2500 LS320, but not a korean tokai either.

I'm looking more for something like this beaut:
img1.jpg

Could I just order one shipped to the states from Tokai? Or would it be cheaper to find one from a retailer?

I know that's a ton of questions, but I'm just a curious dude.

Thanks guys.

"Reasonable upgrade"?

From what I've heard about them both, I'm betting an LS75 will kick the agile in the nadgers, steal it's wallet and shag its girlfriend. And it has good pickups too.

I'm not sure if tokai sell direct from the factory but there are a number of good dealers in japan with close connections to them. GS universe, who sent me a guitar here in the UK, are located in the same city IIRC and can offer custom orders on various models. Best go through someone like them.

Ok then, how much would I be spending on something like that? I'm looking for something under 700 preferably.

Hi Guys,

The Tokai MIJ LC series (LesPaul Custom) guitars were not offered in Sunburst which is why you won't see one.
They were offered in Black (BB), Wine Red (WR) and White (WH).
The LC were copies of the 1957 Customs which did not have maple tops - only mahogany so a Sunburst finish would not really show through.
Gibbo Les Paul Customs only started getting Sunburst finishes after 1968 when they were re-issued with Maple tops.

Good hunting

PeterMac

R_Felver said:
Ok then, how much would I be spending on something like that? I'm looking for something under 700 preferably.

~$700 should get you an LS75 inc shipping, or one of the solid colour finish models, from GS universe. You may be pushing it if you want a sunburst custom as it would have to be a special order.

Paladin2019 said:
R_Felver said:

~$700 should get you an LS75 inc shipping, or one of the solid colour finish models, from GS universe. You may be pushing it if you want a sunburst custom as it would have to be a special order.

Sounds good. How thick are the poly finishes? And how fat is the neck?

That LS75 on GSU looks reallly good with the plaintop, makes me want a tokai even more :D

The poly finishes are pretty good - they don't cake the guitar like many makers do. Combined with the quality of woods used and you have a guitar that's very open and resonant.

Necks are a comfy 59 profile. Nobody's seen a tokai profile thinner than that, though a couple of thicker ones have been spotted. :eek:

Sounds nice, I like em fat.

It'll take a few months before I have the scratch, hope they're still around :D

Hi

I've recently bought a tokai custom form ebay and couldn't really be happier. Mine is a 94 model in wine red with the gold trim. It also has the copy diamond split inlay on the headstock which looks more authentic that the later models (i think 99 onwards they put the flower in it), u know the deal. I had for a bit of a steal. ...... here in the UK we have to pay around ?600.....or $900 to you guys for a basic korean love rock. I have always liked the customs and always wanted the wine red finish. I imported mine from Japan for $600 and paid $120 to insure and ship it......which btw only took 3 days over xmas time.!!!!!.......that meant i got it for ?453 in the end.not a bad saving eh???

I like the fact that it has no maple cap like gibby used to do them and the grain on the mahogany really comes through. The machine heads are not really that great and are getting replaced straight away with some grovers. The neck on mine is very very slim.....a lot slimmer than an epi les paul i own and is very comfortable. Pickups are the best thing on it though....they have stacks of mid range and great highs...but not too piercing.....great vintage rock tones........and remember TONE IS TONE.

If your really in the market for a great custom then i would suggest you go for the one on ebay at the moment which is an Orville by Gibson custom in the same wine red finish as mine....there is also the same one on www.guitargai.com website. It's an absolute minter and is far better thant he Tokai model....(oooo i'm in for some abuse on that remark i guess on this site.but it's very true!!!)

I hope you have teh best of luck in getting a great guitar. There are loads out there if your patient. Grab yourself a beauty. I'll post pics of mine soon.

oops.sorry paladind ur right there mate...................still 600 squid for a plaintop is a bit steep, especially when you convert that kinda cash into the equivalent dollar price.........i just think that if your careful and ask loadsa questions then a jap import is the way to go....especially if you wanna make killer savings on something like a 200 or a 320

Shaun

shaunfreak said:
oops.sorry paladind ur right there mate...................still 600 squid for a plaintop is a bit steep, especially when you convert that kinda cash into the equivalent dollar price.........i just think that if your careful and ask loadsa questions then a jap import is the way to go....especially if you wanna make killer savings on something like a 200 or a 320

Shaun

I don't think it's bad, especially when you consider it's a proper solid maple top on mahogany there. Personally I'd rather have the plain solid top than a figured veneer on maple but that's just me. :oops:

The problem with imports and comparative pricing is that you get stung with shipping when they're sent and taxes when they arrive - you end up paying the UK street price anyway. Everything in this bloody country is more expensive than abroad no matter where you buy it and there's no legal way round it. However, I can assure you that importing is well worth the hassle if you're willing to go for one of those high-ends. :wink:

Hey, I notice you're from Cardiff - did you see that Tokai Relic that Gamlins used to have?

Yeah i saw the relic. Unfortunately the missus was with me so i didn't have the time to try it. It looked really well done though.

I also hear what your saying about the maple cap though. I on the other hand quite like the all mahogany see thru grain look, especially in the wine red finish. I suppose it's personal preference but the price hike on geetars gibs or tokais alike for highly figured wood is scandalous.

I also, like u say, got hit for shipping my love rock into the country from Japan but did not get hit for import duties???....i wonder if that is cause it was second hand???...im not sure, all in all a custom love rock (with teh gibson inlay on the headstock rather than the new flower) for ?450 including shipping seems a good deal.........btw have you tried the tokai V in Gamlins?,,,,think i'm gonna get one! :D

Hi Shaun,

Quote ?did not get hit for import duties???....i wonder if that is cause it was second hand????. No;- it makes no difference if it?s new or 2nd hand, it should still attract the same Vat & Import Duty. And some also say they paid a ?20 ?Handling Charge? :eek: . However, it seems a proportion of parcels are deliberately allowed through without any charge (about 1 in 20 I?d guess) ? eg, I bought an MIJ Strat from Tokyo last summer, without any bill for Vat or Duty etc :-? .

Ian.

shaunfreak said:
I also, like u say, got hit for shipping my love rock into the country from Japan but did not get hit for import duties???....i wonder if that is cause it was second hand???...im not sure, all in all a custom love rock (with teh gibson inlay on the headstock rather than the new flower) for ?450 including shipping seems a good deal.........btw have you tried the tokai V in Gamlins?,,,,think i'm gonna get one! :D

You got yourself a real bargain there! Customs are strange and inconsistent lot. I've heard tales of people buying guitars while abroad and coming back to the airport to find the red channel unmanned - result, walk straight through with an untaxed guitar!

Haven't tried the V. I like guitars you can sit down with. :wink: I did have a good go of their MIJ fenders last time I was in though. Might pick up a Jazzmaster eventually, pity tokai don't make those.

I have seen some Dillion JazzMasters, there not exact {the bridge/Vibato} but are very cool! :wink: TG

Hey that's good to know guys bout the duty etc......I thought i was onto a bit of a winner!!!......I was thinkin i could get away with murder in customs!!!! :D

I guess i must have been lucky to get away free first time of trying. That is waht i found a little strange, because when i telephoned customs to see if i'd have a vat bill they said yes, also a handling charge but that was when i wanted to import a martin 00015 acoustic from the states. I thought i got away cause it was second hand and that VAT only applied to 'new' items.

Oh yeah, i havent had them out yet but anyone know what pickups are in the TLC 70?...............i have recently installed a pair of 490R and 498T gibbys in my epi LP and these on the Tokai blow them out of the water!!

squeak soon guys

Latest posts

Back