Help me indificate Tokai ST50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypnotize

Reaction score
Some days ago I bought Tokai Springy Sound ST50, seller said that it from 80th or 85 years, on metalic plate that connect body and neck no serial number, buе when I connect it out I see that on neck is written s/n and first numbers are 80, I am also know that I can find s/n under neck single and under pickguard, I saw there but I cant find anythying because body is painted and all are screening
Can I ratify that my giutar from 80th year?
Sorry for my English =)
Thanks

Here are some photos

Hi, it's hard to tell anything from those pics, do you have some more general pics of the rest of the guitar? I'm not sure what you mean by the "80th year" of the guitar - Springys were only made from 1978 to 1983.

Mike

one more picture, if you need one more - I will maid it
I mean is this guitar was maid in 1980?

http://pic.ipicture.ru/uploads/090127/FDbHq65YIL.jpg

I'm sorry my friend, but we'll need more than just one extra pic to be able to check the guitar out and tell you what it is. There's no point in mailing it, the pics need to be on here so everyone can see them. Have a look at some other posts on Springys so you can see the details that we need to see.

Straight away I can tell you that the scratchplate isn't a Tokai - it's a replacement. A 1980 Springy will have it's serial number on the metal neckplate - if it isn't there it will be hard to date it.

Yes, I saw photo of other users, they made photo of potz place under pickguard, where written s/n, I don't know how discrube it, think that you understand me, but this place on me strat is painted on white as all strat, and I can't seen anything, and under neck single same reason, and photo of this place can't help you

s/n that was written on other side that connected to body is 800201
is it mean that guitar was mase in 1980?

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're asking. The serial number on a Springy will be on the neckplate like this:

IMG_1097.jpg

Is yours like this? This pic is of a 1980 Springy ST60

In that case I have no idea what your guitar is. Maybe somebody else can help?

Now I try to explain again
Know serial number we can from metalic plate on neck, and in routing(cavity)
On metalic plate I have no anything written, but may be this plate was changed, I don't know
From routing(cavity) I also can't know s/n becouse it painted, and I can see anything here
But I find serial number on back side of neck that connected to body
Anв also today I find some numbers on neck(you can see it on photo) may be it help you in any way?

How can anybody identify or date a guitar just from those 3 pics? The body could be from anything!

Hi Hypnotize.

The guitar looks like a 1978 springy, very early ones had narrow neck plates without seriel numbers.
The "8" of your seriel = 1978, the 201 is the 201st build.

I have one just a few up from yours. Your markings are identical to mine so from what I can see it appears genuine.

just looked at mine and there is NO cut out on the body to facilitate truss ros access, but that might just be a mod made by a previous owner.

the Tokai model numder WILL BE STAMPED IN THE NECK PUP CAVITY right against the straight neck route under the truss rod hole. I suggest y remove a rectangle of the shielding to see if it's there if you want reassurance.

makaze said:
just looked at mine and there is NO cut out on the body to facilitate truss ros access, but that might just be a mod made by a previous owner.

And then repainted afterwards?

:eek:

It does actually look like there's something stamped on the last fret.

Mike - easy enough to repaint a white guitar. Might have been refinished too as it most would have faded a bit from that shade of white by now.

stratman323 said:
How can anybody identify or date a guitar just from those 3 pics? The body could be from anything!

... by looking at a lot of Springys!

:)

As has been stated since, the earliest Springys have the narrow neck plate, serial number in the neck pocket, no model stamped on the end of the fretboard, and (usually) the model number stamped in the neck pickup cavity.

I can't see a narrow neckplate. :eek:

Doesn't the changed scratchplate make you doubtful about it's originality?

Latest posts

Back