DRY 1982 PICKUPS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi972

Reaction score
What pups from other manufacturer can be compared to dry 1982?
For my taste are nice sounding pups but I just need a bit more power for that Sykes sound. I know he played Dirty Fingers for quite some time.

No answers....
I will continue on this topic.
What is the difference between tokai PAF pickups ( those on LS 60- 80) and DRY 1982?

It is very hard to compare pickups. What sounds good in one guitar can sound totally different in another. I have Dry 1982's in my greco and i love them, i find them a very well rounded pickup, excellent clean tone and also great distorted.

Mick

I play mostly hard rock and more modern metal type music, lots of chunky riffs with more melodic choruses. Anything from straight power chords to full six string distorted but very cool sounding chords. I also use different types of tuning like, DADGCD and so on. I only have a fender 70 watt performer at the moment, it is quite a heavy sounding amp, i mainly use this one at home as it distorts well without getting muddy or weak at low volumes.

Mick

I like hard rock too ( KISS, Whitesnake, Rush..)
For my taste the bridge pickup is too bright, thats why I turn tone knob down a bit. Neck pickup has enough balls to play rock and really sings when you play solo.

Yes the neck pickup is great, in my guitar the bridge is perfect, brighter than the neck of course but still thick and versatile. Tone controls are very good on mine , try backing the tone down a bit and se how that goes.

Mick

Anyway the guitar is great. I never had a chance to compare it to Tokai LS 60 or 80. I would replace it only for some JS 65, because I?m a huge fan of John Sykes.

Jimi, you're always welcome in my home, and we can compare modified reborl old LS50, LS1000 and yours and you'll see the difference

Thanks Diodibuh. I used to have guitar with super distortion pickup for a few years. It took me 4 month to get used to DRY 1982, and now I really like them. Bridge pickup cuts very nicely and sounds very clear. I can get very nice EVH brown sound even from my Line6 kidney. Guitar is very versatile.
Neck pickup sings very smoothly for some nice leads but is also suitable for jazzy tones while middle position can be used for some funky style. Bridge pickup rocks. I still can?t believe that guitar sound so great. It?s really sad that is Greco so unknown among Gibby lovers.

jimi972: enjoy guitar, I'm very glad you like it. but still we can meet one day and compare guitars.

...get up at seven, yeah
And I go to work at nine
I got no time for livin
Yes, Im workin all the time...

I wish a have more time. Work, kids.....

Someday, somewhere... we?ll meet. :lol:

I was told that Gibson bought the patent to Dry Z pickups a few years ago and now and use them in the historic line...

leadguitar_323 said:
I was told that Gibson bought the patent to Dry Z pickups a few years ago and now and use them in the historic line...

Hmmmmm......Interesting.

Mick

MMMM I wonder what's the source of this... might be intersting...or not... :lol:

I have buy a Greco LPS..i think is EG59-100 model with this pick-up.
Sticker is missing but i think that it is a dry1982 model...maybe or not?

20 century boy said:
leadguitar_323 said:

Hmmmmm......Interesting.

Mick

MMMM I wonder what's the source of this... might be intersting...or not... :lol:

DRY-Z's are a direct copy of the original PAF (Patent Applied For) pickups, why would Gibson buy the patent for a copy of something they have a patent on??

JohnA said:
DRY-Z's are a direct copy of the original PAF (Patent Applied For) pickups, why would Gibson buy the patent for a copy of something they have a patent on??

To stop anyone else selling pickups that are regarded so highly & that sell for so much money?

Mike

But you can't take a patent out of something that's a copy of something else. Something there are 100's of manufacturers copying anyway.

Latest posts

Back