BURNY FLG240?!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisqle91

Reaction score
I just did an impulse buy on a Burny I saw on Ebay. Ad said it was a 1980 FLG240. From what I can tell though, it can't be a 1980, because they didn't start to put the "Luper Grade" logo on until 1981. It DOES look like a high-end Burny though; two-ring tuners, nitro, (supposedly) solid flame maple top, oil in paper caps, braided wiring, I THINK 1 piece body.. The serial number on the back of the headstock is 01011 though, so it SHOULD be a 1980? Maybe at the end of the year, they started puting the "Luper Grade" logo on? I don't know. I need your help tokaiforum!!

EBAY LINK: http://cgi.ebay.com/59-Les-Paul-Reissue-1980-Burny-Japan-FLG240-Lawsuit_W0QQitemZ300287859317QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item300287859317&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4

UPDATES:

The seller made an error; it's a 1981 FLG. I have also confirmed myself that the serial number doesn't correspond to make of year.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt this is an FLG240. The back is a two-piece (why!!!) and I received a picture of the pickup cavities, and there is no indication that the pickups are Duncan 59's. Does anyone know if the Duncan 59's in the 80's had stickers or stamps on the baseplate?

Also, I am not sure if the top is a solid maple top; it kind of seems like a veneer. I will find out.

Hard to tell from these pics. It's definately an 81 FLG, worst case it's a FLG-90 and if it really is a two piece back and a veneer top that's what it is. I'd ask the seller for a pic of the maple top in the pickup cavities.

If the top is solid I'd think it would be an FLG-150, the difference between the 150 and 240 models isn't really well documented, the latter ones are said to be order made but that's about all I know :)

As for the pickups, I have no idea about the duncans, but the solder joints don't look virgin to me, so they could have been replaced by a previous owner.

So, we have two members that believe it's a 90 grade Burny = 90,000 yen original MSRP

The seller listed it as a 240 grade = 240,000 yen original MSRP

sold for $1550

this is all very interesting ...............

This seller has been "mistaken" about some of his guitars in the past too, so I'm not terribly surprised. It looks like every FLG-90 (with a veneer top) that I've ever seen, and I've owned several...

Let's just hope it still has the original L-8001 pups... that, at least, would be something...

villager said:
the seller is sadly mistaken, its a nice FLG-90 i am 99% sure, i think a little expensive for a 90, heh but a steal for a 240..which BTW i have never seen for sure...

Actually it's what I paid for mine, more or less, so I guess mine was a little too expensive as well, or this is not.
The pickups are ogirinal, like mines. Definitely L-8001, wich I don't like much. But it's a great guitar.

hi
i was looking at the pictures off this burny ,,,, and when i look at the picture off the output jack ..... i looks like it has a pancake body ?????
can a flg 90 have that
all the best
otto

It's back, and still posted as a 240. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300291370370&indexURL=9&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

This time with pup cavity pix, definitely not a solid cap. Does anyone think that it's even a 90?

stay away from this guy; a real piece of work... Both times the guitar was listed previously, he was explicitly told it was NOT an FLG-240, and he STILL advertises it as so..

Latest posts

Back