My new Edwards :)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pott

Reaction score
Image014.jpg

Image013.jpg

Image012.jpg

She's an Edwards... er... something. Anyway... Had a JB/59 set, I replaced the JB by a Jazz after test riding her. The JB was screechy, yuck. Jazz is much better in the bridge.
Oiled the board, cleaned her up all around.
Strung her up with 11s (were 09s on it before), raised the strings a bit. I need to straighten the neck but I don't know yet the correct truss rod wrench size :(
She's got new knobs in the mail, and black straplocks there too.
Thanks for watching this! She loves y'all :D

Oh yeah, the Jazz with heavy strings gives a great tone. Gotta love that ebony fretboard too. I think it takes a little socket wrench, just like the Gibby.

Great guitar and of course women want to date the guys with the red and black guitars, but they want to marry those with the white LP's.

:wink:

Nice ...... did you buy it new from a dealer in Japan? Usually the wrench and paperwork is in the box with the guitar. Check the front zip pocket of the ESP gig bag.

Nah, it was second hand, I'm the third owner I think. Came with a random but decent Les Paul hardcase, without the tools. I need an 8mm wrench but due to the size of the truss rod adjustment cavity I can't use all sockets...

Pott said:
Nah, it was second hand, I'm the third owner I think. Came with a random but decent Les Paul hardcase, without the tools. I need an 8mm wrench but due to the size of the truss rod adjustment cavity I can't use all sockets...

This is what you need:

http://www.allparts.com/store/tools-etc-truss-rod-wrenches-lt-4958-000,Product.asp

Thanks, seems about right. However these blocks are too long and don't fit in the truss cavity... It's weird. I don't get why they'd make it so small and deep in the neck. Not easy to adjust... Even a t socket wouldn't fit in there as it's recessed too deep.

very nice :)

my wrench came in the front pocket, as marcus said, though i had about half an hour of worrying how i was going to find a truss-rod adjuster until someone online suggested i check the front gig-bag pocket... :oops: :lol:

Nice!! Well done. :D

I think they make truss rod fasteners hard to get at to put people off dicking about with them.

I think I've only ever had to adjust one of mine, once. Even a change from 9's to 11's didn't warrant it. Then again that was a Strat. My "Les Paul" has only ever had 10's on there.

Thanks guys :)

She's a nice one. Very heavy though!
Anyway... played like butter when I got her... Replaced the 009s with 011s, raised the strings quite high and now she buzzes like crazy on the open E, A and D strings... I need a tech to shim the neck. Something I normally do but the nut is lacquered along with the neck and I don't have the right tools to not mess it up :(
Pimped her out already... Black straplocks, black speed knobs, should get the bridge + tailpiece tomorrow (Black Gotohs) and I ordered a Bareknuckle Riff Raff for the bridge position... :D Soon to upgrade the electronics to all CTS, why not.

Pott said:
Thanks guys :)

She's a nice one. Very heavy though!

Soon to upgrade the electronics to all CTS, why not.

How heavy? My Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul comes in at an unchambered weight of 7.01 lbs.

Don't forget, parts are metric - CTS pots may not fit.

I checked, seems all good... though I do recall I haven't measured the width of the shaft, oops... Thanks for reminding me!!

The Edwards is unchambered too but I have no idea how much it weighs, I have no scale. Anyway it hurts picking her up with 1 hand basically. But again I'm wimpy :lol:

If you can find a way to shim the neck on an LP I'd be very interested to know how you did it! :wink:

Potts said:
... Anyway it hurts picking her up with 1 hand basically. But again I'm wimpy

Pah. Eat more pies! :lol:

The best LP's are the heavy ones. Mine makes my neck ache but I just play it sitting down at home instead. Job done.

Potts said:
... Soon to upgrade the electronics to all CTS, why not.

Because CTS won't fit? They have Imperial sized shafts etc. Buy Alpha instead and an Allparts switch.

Just as good and goes straight in. Search the forums as there are loads of posts about this and some even have part numbers you can order.

I really wouldn't bother changing the Edwards pots unless there's something wrong with them, as goestoeleven says CTS ones wont fit, and neither CTS or Alpha would offer any real improvement on the standards ones.

Yep I measured a couple of days ago and indeed CTS won't fit. The pots in there are already alpha and are good enough so they're staying, so will the caps.

Got the bridge, tailpiece, right size studs and the Bareknuckle Riff Raff... The guitar is at the tech for a nut shim (not neck, DOH :lol: ) and I should get her back very soon. Then the Riff Raff goes in... and off I wail!

Problem:

I put the Riff Raff into my Charvel to try... and it's just AMAZING in there. I guess I'll have to try it in the LP, see where it sounds best and order another one.

Credit crunch + debts + being a jobless student + Bareknuckle Gas = wallet hating me, but much lighter.

that's interesting about the pots not fitting, thanks for that... i thought my pots weren't that great on mine, maybe just upgrading the tone caps would make the difference i need? though that's not going to help with the volume controls... maybe i need a treble bleed circuit added... :lol:

not trying to hijack the thread, but any ideas?

LPs being darker instruments to what I'm used to, I'd definitely go for the treble bleed route. Otherwise when you turn down the volume pots the difference is even more noticeable. It's an easy mod and it won't do anything bad to your tone.

Pott said:
LPs being darker instruments to what I'm used to, I'd definitely go for the treble bleed route. Otherwise when you turn down the volume pots the difference is even more noticeable. It's an easy mod and it won't do anything bad to your tone.

That's a matter of opinion. I always remove treble bleed circuits as I have always found that they make the sound thinner when the volume is reduced. I would rather lose a small amount of top end than get a thin & weedy sound.

Mike

You can counter that with a resistor in parrallel to the capacitor. I had the same issue and this solved it.

Back and FINISHED!

Shimmed nut
Set of 10/52s
Black Gotoh bridge/tailpiece (Nashville wide ABR1)
I replaced the tone caps, did a 50s mod wiring and put on 0.001mf treble bleed caps.
Bareknuckle Riff Raff bridge/SD 59 neck

Only things left to change: black switch tip and MAYBE black tuners at some point.

Latest posts

Back