Calling all Silver Star owners....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Mac

Reaction score
I am looking to communicate with owners of SilverStar models - any year to determine a precise model / dating sequence.

Steve J. from the site has helped greatly and i need more info to put the theories from Steves efforts into a positive practice.

My email is
[email protected]

I now have limited access to the net and will be trying to help out from time to time so please don't get annoyed if I cannot answer straight away

regards
Peter Mac

Hi Peter and happy return :D .I had a sunburst Silverstar serial number starting for 2 on the neck.Excellente neck and nice guitar.I have some pics on my PC,so very glad for helping.

Hi Peter!

Here's the serial number for my 3-color-sunburst mapleboard 7okai Silver Star: 0008739

you have the other two numbers

thanks again

Steve :D

I have re-read my post and serial number starts by 02 not 2 :oops: ,so it seems to be from 1982.I have noticed Tokai logos changed by 1984 too from 7okai to Tokai(in black letters) but different to the AST and TST from 85 and on.

Hola mi amigo, Luis

Como estas?

From what i've learnt so far about the Silver Star, Tokai did a makeover in 1984 and really paid little attention to them - it seems as if they concentrated more on the export models than the domestic ones (SIlver Star was a domestic model)
Obviously the people from Gender and Fibs-On hounded Tokai about the copyrights, etc.

There is still more to learn though (gracias por los fotos) I need to talk with other Silver Star owners to really nail it down.

Hasta lluego

Peter Mac

Hi
First i like to say sorry for my bad english, first time for me here.
Since a few weeks I have a tokai strat, with a spaghetti logo, sunburst color, with the serial number 2020263. in the body i found the numbers 4=8 and than the letters ys z. It's the guitar of a friend of mine, he had it on the attic for years in the original case.
He told me that he byed the guitar new, somewhere arround late 60,or just begin 1970, what i like to know is the exact date for this guitar, it's still in an excelant shape, and the sound is really beautiful, if i now how to add a picture I send you one!
Hope you can help me?
Much regards jan from the netherlands.

Thanks for the reply, Jan

The guitar is probably an SS-38, YS means 3-tone Sunburst, and the build date would be around April 1982.
Other kinds of info I require are the pickup wire colours and markings.

I did get the picture at my email address and i thank you for the time to send it, every little bit helps to unravel the Tokai mystery - no matter how small you may think it is.

Beware though - I have seen a few fakes getting around, the most obvious to me was a Sunbuirst with a totally different routing in the body and an out-of-sequence serial number 1102584, so it seems even SilverStars are not immune to tampering for a quick buck

regards
Peter Mac[/img]

I have a 3-tone sunburst 7okai Silver Star. 3-bolt neck, serial is 0011349, bullet truss rod, maple neck/fboard w/ skunk stripe. If that's any help to you.
Logo is 7okai in black spaghetti with a thin yellow border
Body looks like 3 pieces, could be ash but I wouldn't bet on it. grain is well matched on top an botom pieces but the middle strip just doesn't belong.

It's a nice guitar, but I prefer my Goldstars.

I bought it used in Kyoto about 6 or 7 years ago, I'm guessing it was made in 1980.

Did have another candyapple red silverstar a while back that was really nice. V. light, maybe '84/'85, great for playing Jimi. Can't remember the s# though (leant it to a friend and he refuses to give it back).

I'll see if canget some pics up somewhere...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info - every little bit helps. Photos would be a bonus as it allows me to cross-reference similarities and quirks...

Gotta say "Muchos Gracias, Amigo" to Luis who is posting me pics and info from Japan for SilverStars...this stuff is brilliant.

Anyone who has a SilverStar ( or three) please drop a line and share the info - no matter how insignifigant you may think it is.

regards
Peter Mac

I have a tokai silverstar i have had since like 86 when i liberated it from a pawnshop. some student to the university of illinois must have brought it over as i understand this model was not sold in the usa. any who the head stock serial is-2025584- no other marking i see although i may not know where to look. was originally black with black plastic and chrome hardware. most all the black finish has been played off the front and the rest sanded off in patches as the mood hit me to try to even it out. nice wood 2 piece body. i collect strats as well as guitars in general and no one has ever playrfd this guitar and not thought it was the best strat they have ever played. then i point out its not a strat- but really it is- its not brand it vibe, just like music. Just bought a tokai acoustic from korea and am superhappy with the quality control and workmanship.edited to say it is a black 7okai(goldoutlined)fenderlooking script. with a legit fender headstock shape.

Latest posts

Back