Bone saddles

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadman

Reaction score
Anyone had one installed on an acoustic?

Is it worth it? I've just paid ?14 to have one made for my Freshman FA400 and I'm expecting great things.

Depends on how good the original saddle was.

I've just put a Tusq one (same kind of thing) on my Washburn and it's made a big difference. Much brighter, sharper and clearer sound with better sustain.

Having checked the original saddle that came out of it I can see why. Washburn have used a cheap nasty plastic. You can even hold it between thumb and forefinger and bend it like a leaf spring! Bone or Tusq won't do that.

Yes, I'd say it's worth it.

For a circa-?500 guitar it was cheap plastic. Well grooved where the strings have been sitting.

Seems like a bargain to me then. I'll try and find the guy's link to ebay as others may want this service for this (seemingly) bargain price.

Cheers.

Here we go:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TREEROOT-products

If anyone else is after this service for as long as I've been then you're onto a winner. Just send him your old saddle and he'll make you a perfect copy.

:wink:

:eek: Bargain!

I wish I'd seen this before I spent ages sanding and messing about with the Tusq one I bought.

I had to use the Martin size for my Washburn, but it went on okay in the end.

Kind of wish I hadn't binned the old one now as I could have sent it off and had a nice bone one made. :cry:

Still, never mind. What I've got on now is way better than the original. I fitted a tortoiseshell pickguard for a Martin 000-28EC at the same time. Looks a lot more classy now. 8)

It's made and on it's way GTE.

I've ordered some Newtone Masterclass strings too as I've heard great things about them.

Report to follow :wink:

Well what can I say.

Saddle arrived all well packed and came slightly oversized with a flat abrasive pad to shave it down to desired height.

It was nicely polished.

The guy had even written in tiny letters

'Treeroot OX bone Jan 08'

He's obviously proud of what he does.

Once I'd filed to desired height it was a real snug fit and looked perfect.

New strings in, the sound is definitely sharper than before. the notes are more defined and I get infinite sustain from all strings.

Well worth the dosh.

Can't put the Freshman down now.
8)

Cool! 8)

It's amazing how much you can improve even a lower-end acoustic like mine with little upgrades such as this. Glad to hear it's worked out well.

I'm still trying to find some decent bridge pins for mine, but they're a funny size, ie: a bit thicker than all the commonly available ones.

I'm still having to use the cheap looking original Washburn ones for now. :cry:

Latest posts

Back