Finally sorted my Tokai Tele

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slopic 2

Reaction score
Just wanted to report that I got a replacement neck for my 80s Breezysound Tele and to thank the forum members who helped me with information re. model info etc.
I got a very early mighty mite neck (82) in the end and its a real nice one. Nice and straight, frets had been recently dressed and it has a lovely aged appearance. It replaces the maple breezy that was not straight.
Its has a fender logo on that also looks neat and aged. Its a 10.5 rad compared to the 7.25 original but it feels very nice, rolled edges, satiny finish. :D
Last owner had it fitted on a 70s F style tele so I decided to replace the diagonal tuners and found a nice used brass set from an 80s guitar. I'll keep my Tokai kluson ones though as I'm having bad thoughts about a future project and I need to start somewhere!
The 70s tele body obviously must differ from the 52 tokai around the neck pocket as the light wood shows- hopefully it will start to darken now that its exposed and should be ok in another 20yrs or so! All in all the guitar feels and sounds great now. Strings are clipped, photo was taken as I was setting up, action is low enough with no dead spots or buzz and tuning seems stable.

DSC_0098.jpg
DSC_0105.jpg
DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0102.jpg
DSC_0092.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0103.jpg

Thanks John!
I know its a bit of a hybrid now but I just wanted to play it. Its been interesting too re. finding the info about fitting the neck/nut and setting up, lining the cavities with copper foil etc and I feel I know my guitar a lot better.

Much better a hybrid that's geting played rather than an all original guitar not being used!! If you learned a few things during the process that's a bonus!

Looks nice and as John says better played than sitting in its case. If you do ever want to make it original I'm sure a Tokai neck will turn up at some point.
________

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Cheshirecat. They don't come up for sale often but I saw and bid on a Breezy maple ebay neck the same time I got this one. I wasn't that bothered about not winning as the Breezy frets were quite worn and my budget ain't high. I'm very pleased with this old mighty mite (?53) as the last owner obviously had it maintained/dressed over the years.
I plan on having a go this year at building a Tele and will hopefully use a vintage maple for it as I did like the feel/sound of the Tokai Breezy also.
Cheers.

Back