Pickup Advice

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybone

Reaction score
I like the tone of the Gotoh Mk 2 PAF's that are in my Love Rock, but I want something with a bit more "oomph" like the Gibson 490 / 496's that are in my Les Paul.

I think I want a PAF type pickup again, but which to go for? Gibson 57's are HELLISH expensive here in the UK, and so are Seymour Duncan 59's (all SD's for that matter!), the only real cost effective one are DiMarzio's, and their PAF Classics are available with covers (I dont like uncovered PU's).

So what's it to be folks? Gibson's? Seymours? or DiMarzio's?

ive replaced the bridge pickup on my 1990 les paul standard with a dimarzio paf pro - bit more oomph and a bit more focus to the sound - so good pickups definitely ( well steve vai used this model so it cant be too bad!)however mine is an uncovered pickup and i dont know if they do this model covered.
steve

Hey skybone,
Go the Duncans,for the bridge try the SH-4 in a zebra and the SH-1 in creme for the neck. I have used this setup in a Tokai TLS-100 and it WORKS.
I know both pickups are expensive but they are worth it. They also have coil-taps to give a wider variety of sounds.
Big plus is they don't squeal with microphonic feedback, like many of the others.
Tokai's top-of-the-line TLS-200 comes equipped with Duncan SH-1's so if the factory felt they were good enough.
Peter

Ta.

I'm veering towards going for the Duncan '59's (with covers) as loads of people seem to really rate them, though I am doubting whether to change them at all, as I haven't used to Love Rock in anger yet. Indecision is a wonderful thing! Not.

I don't like uncovered pickups, either - but SD "Pearly Gates" do the 'sound/sustain' thing for me. I wish I could get covers for them (my Tokai PAFII covers don't fit) but then maybe they wouldn't sound the way they do?

I just put Seymour Duncan Jazz/SH2(neck) and JB/SH4(bridge) on my 1992 Love Rock. A world of difference compared to the Gibsons 490/498 i had before. The Seymours have a superior definition and clarity. I can go from a funky clean sound with both PU?s on 3 to all out hard rock with the bridge PU on 10 on my 1 channel, 6 knob Marshall JCM800 combo. I just sold the Gibsons, of course i still have the original Tokais. Seymour rules!

Best regards,

Freek the TokaiFreek

http://members.lycos.co.uk/tokaiguitars

Just a thought, but last months UK Guitar Magazine mentioned that Trevor Wilkinson of FretKing guitars is about to release a couple of ranges of pickups - one made in Korea and one from Japan. The Japanese range is said to include PAF replicas with proper nickel covers at (I think) ?50-60. I'm waiting to hear some reviews of these, as they sound like a good value option if you want covered buckers.

Thanks James, I think I saw those features, but I ended up plumping for Gibson a 490 / 498 combination with gold covers, then had them plumbed in with push/pulls.

Phase on the neck and coil tap on the bridge.

It sounds good like this, the Phase only really comes in with both pickups selected, which is a bit of a shame as I wanted it to soften the bass response of the 490 and give it a wee bit more bite. The coil tap's cool.

They dont really suit the body wood of the LC65 though (basswood body), as they tend to sound a bit harsh compared to my Les Paul which sounds really nice with these pickups. Might leave them alone, might change 'em. The jury's still out.

Thanks for all your comments / recommendations everyone.

Latest posts

Back