Jumbo frets on Goldstars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsuspend

Reaction score
I saw a rosewood Goldstar on Ebay recently which had been refretted with jumbos.
What's your opinion on changing fret dimension on these necks?
My Hayman 3030 has jumboish frets and I like it a lot playwise but of course it was designed for them from the beginning.

/Magnus

I have a 1988 US62RI that was refretted by the previous owner with frets one step up from vintage - I think the gauge is called 6105? I don't really notice any difference, to be honest. But jumbo frets? I imagine they would spoil the feel of a Strat. If you want jumbo frets, get yourself a Gibson (type) guitar, IMHO.

Mike

stratman323 said:
I have a 1988 US62RI that was refretted by the previous owner with frets one step up from vintage - I think the gauge is called 6105? I don't really notice any difference, to be honest. But jumbo frets? I imagine they would spoil the feel of a Strat. If you want jumbo frets, get yourself a Gibson (type) guitar, IMHO.

Mike

There are lots profiles for larger frets. You should look at the various options before you select. Some are tall, some are flat and wide:

6100 .112" X .055" Huge! This is big stuff for the almost scalloped feel.
6105 .096" X .047" Narrow and tall. A very popular choice.
6130 .106" X .036" Often referred to as "Medium Jumbo". This is the size found on many Gibson necks.
6230 .080" X .043" This is the smallest fret wire. Used in older Fender necks.
6150 .103" X .046" A true "Jumbo". It is about the same width as the 6130 but a bit taller.

Hmmm, after my recent experience, have you checked that the body is OK? I would want to see a few more pics.

:-?

Didn't Rory Gallagher have his Strat refretted with Dunlop 6110s? :-?

I know the Schecter Strat clones that Rudy Pensa and John Suhr built for Mark Knopfler in the mid-80's had Dunlop 6110 too and they looked fine.

"From around 1980, his main axe turned to a Schecter Strat copy (SN - S8218), in candy apple red with chrome dome knobs, white pickguard and individual on/off switches for each pickup. Pickups were later changed the SDs, possibly SSL1s, then again with SD Alnico Pros. Maple neck without any position markers on the fretboard with Dunlop 6110 frets (at the time he used it anyway). This guitar was used at Live Aid in 1985."

schecter-stratred.jpg

"1985 Saw a bit of a hybrid guitar, assembled by John Suhr. Schecter neck and body, and a Fender bridge. Seymour Duncan Alnico Pros and Dunlop 6110 frets. The headstock says Fender, though it isn?t. It was used in the late 80?s, and a model of it can be seen on the Calling Elvis video (the video contains puppets of the band playing). Mark still owns the puppet from this video too!"

Dire_Straits_60.jpg

From Here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332650

leadguitar_323 said:
The only thing i don't like about my Springy is the weedy little frets....

Mick

Yup... me too. I hate the skinny vintage frets.....I try to play the crap out of them with heavy strings so that I can replace them. Medium Jumbos are just right for me.

I like the way you think Marcus.... :wink: Playing the crap out of them might just work but when you play all your guitars on a regular basis, let me see, it will take me about 200 years to wear them out.... :p

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
I like the way you think Marcus.... :wink: Playing the crap out of them might just work but when you play all your guitars on a regular basis, let me see, it will take me about 200 years to wear them out.... :p

Mick

:lol: I'm in the same boat as you are. But interestingly, I'm finding that I'm a Strat guy..... I always go back to them and bang on them more than all the others - which is a good thing because it is only the Strats that have the skinny fret wire. I've never refretted any of my Gibbo profile frets.

I've got an 80's schecter californian strat

IMG_0679.jpg

The frets are pretty big

IMG_0683-1.jpg

It's a very flat fretboard and really easy to play.

Latest posts

Back