Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breezy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Well it looks OK, but I've never seen an L serial number on a Breezy before. I thought only Goldstars had those?

Only TE80s and above were nitro finished, my 1980 TE70 is poly, unfortunately. So unless it's a TE80 - and where is the proof that it is? it will be poly finished.

Mike

Tokai did '64 Tele copies too, signified with L's at the start of the serial number and rosewood veneer fretboards

I have a particularly sweet one, as verfied by the forum as a TE-80. I've not seen many of them.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8822&highlight=breezysound

Chris
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wish to sound pedantic ( ) but that TE80 isn't really a '64 copy. The neck is, but the body is a 50s copy. The black SP ended around 1955, replaced with white, & the butterscotch blonde was changed to a white blonde a year or two later.

I'm sure it's a great guitar though. Interesting that it has the 3 saddle bridge - was it only the TE80s that had those?

So which models had L serial numbers? I have a 1980 TE70, & a 1984ish TE50, both rosewood boards, & neither has an L prefixed s/n.

Tony o'Riordan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chip in. I used to have a breezysound with L serial number. It had a (black) double bound body, rosewood fretboard and 3-barrel saddle. It had the 7okai logo on it. No longer owned it, sold it to some guy in France on ebay a few years ago. I don't know how accurate it was to a Customer Telecaster but seemed similar enough.
Lord Analog
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh,
it went away for 450 Euros, I was not brave enough.
But anyway, thank you guys for all the helping advice!
chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
I don't wish to sound pedantic ( ) but that TE80 isn't really a '64 copy. The neck is, but the body is a 50s copy. The black SP ended around 1955, replaced with white, & the butterscotch blonde was changed to a white blonde a year or two later.

I'm sure it's a great guitar though. Interesting that it has the 3 saddle bridge - was it only the TE80s that had those?

So which models had L serial numbers? I have a 1980 TE70, & a 1984ish TE50, both rosewood boards, & neither has an L prefixed s/n.

Mike

Have a look at this link

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai86_4.jpg

It's Tokai that called the laminated rosewood veneered fretboard tele's a 64' model.

Your Tele's have slab boards - Have another look at the photo's on the link I supplied

Chris
stratman323

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisheyes wrote:
It's Tokai that called the laminated rosewood veneered fretboard tele's a 64' model.

Your Tele's have slab boards - Have another look at the photo's on the link I supplied

Chris

Yep, Tokai do seem to have claimed that - but they're wrong! Not the first historical innacuracy we've seen from Tokai, particularly on Breezys. No black SPs or butterscotch blonde finishes after 1955/1956. The neck may be a 64 copy, the body is a 50s copy.

None of my Tokais have slab boards, all have cap boards.

I don't think Tokai used slab boards until later, after they changed the headstock shape. Presumably they are using slab boards now they are making Fender Japan 62 re-issues.
chrisheyes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

None of my Tokais have slab boards, all have cap boards.

I don't think Tokai used slab boards until later, after they changed the headstock shape. Presumably they are using slab boards now they are making Fender Japan 62 re-issues.

You have a point there Mike, the later breezy's do have slab boards.

Are Tokai making breezysounds any more ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: