Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ST-80 on ebay!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mediacrew_za wrote:
does it being ash or sen affect the price i should be buying or selling a ST-80 for..??

Probably not. IF it is genuine, alder is at least as good a body wood as ash/sen - it sounds more mellow, without the brightness of ash/sen, so it's more "correct" for a copy of an early 60s Strat. It doesn't look as attractive though, the grain tends to be less prominent.
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bite my tongue and hope I don't regret this, but I'm the new owner of this guitar! Chingo was kind enough to do an acetone test, and apparently it passed. The frets look like they've had a good amount of use but I'm hoping I'll be able to play it for a few years before I need to do anything to them. The price was right even with shipping, and this is my favourite combination of strat--alder body, rosewood board (no skunk stripe) and 2 tone sunburst. I like how E pickups sound with alder too.

I'll take some photos when I get it!

________
GRAND CHEROKEE

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, I hope it's a good one. The serial number makes that a 1981? Do you know if it has TOKAI or FINAL PROSPEC saddles? I know it doesn't make any difference, I'm just curious.
togps
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshirecatsmile wrote:
Well, bite my tongue and hope I don't regret this, but I'm the new owner of this guitar!

Dang, thats purdy.
Congrats!
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

togps wrote:

Dang, thats purdy.

+1 togps for using proper grammar
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans teaching Germans how to speak English...

marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Americans teaching Germans how to speak English...

Just sounds better than Verdammen Sie, ist das h?bsch
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!
Looks like Tokai saddles and tuners. I'm crossing my fingers!!
________
Daihatsu Tanto Specifications

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Git Reply with quote

Congrats on the git bud !!! Do you play in a band around T.O. ??? I'd love to hear that one in person. Enjoy !!!!!
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dang, thats purdy
Yer darn right!

Chingo didn't disappoint--his shipping was "bombproof" as usual, and as reported is indeed nitro finished-both neck and body, with a pretty sharp V neck. I usually don't take a guitar apart the minute I get it, but this was shipped with strings off (and a fresh set in the case), so it made sense to open it up. It took a while to clean--it was a bit dirty with old nicotine (no smell though) and grime, but cleaned up ok. I put new strings on (10-46 GHS Boomers) and did a quick setup and it plays very nicely. I had been concerned with the amount of neck wear, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue at the moment--I have the action slinkier than I need it without it fretting out or buzzing.

It's interesting to compare to my ST-60 with the same alder body and pickups. They sound about the same, but playing the ST-80 really feels like playing a vintage Fender--the finish is a little stickier to the touch, and it looks like an old Rock Warrior--it's got its share of bumps and dents. The neck on this is a harder V than I was expecting--I have another ST-80 neck that has a much softer V-profile. I like playing this--time will tell whether I like it more than my other Tokai strats. I'm curious about the neck stamp--there is a BA then a smudge instead of the usual #=#, but it's the same font used by Tokai for these stamps. I'm sure it's an original neck--just wondering if anyone has seen this before. The logo looks like it was cleaned with something that ate the finish a bit--it does look old and original up close. I took these photos in a hurry, so sorry for the blurriness:

Quote:
Do you play in a band around T.O. ??? I'd love to hear that one in person.

Hey brokentoes--I don't play out often anymore--I'm trying to keep music as a fun hobby these days and for me gigging has lost it's charm--I've been mainly writing and recording lately. If you like though PM me and you can check it out at my recording studio (www.audiolab.ca). I make many of my Tokais available to clients who want to record with them--this one will probably stay safely tucked away for mostly private use!

I'm going to have to take a couple of days off to play guitar...

________
EXTREME Q VAPORIZER

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshirecatsmile wrote:
It's interesting to compare to my ST-60 with the same alder body and pickups. They sound about the same, but playing the ST-80 really feels like playing a vintage Fender--the finish is a little stickier to the touch

I know what you mean by that. My ST60 should be as good as my ST80 (it's nicer to look at ), it's the same age, same sen bodies, but the ST80 has a kind of vintage magic that the 60 lacks. It's hard to beleive that a bit of nitro can make that much difference?

Looks nice, I'm glad you got a good one. The truss rod screw caught my eye - when did Tokai change to the cross-screw type? Both my 1980 Springys have the allen key adjuster

So if yours is a 1981, does that mean that 1981 was the first year of the cross-screw type? My Goldstars all have the later type. Steel trem block? Tokai or FP saddles?
btmish
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guitar man! I just picked up my first Tokai (st-60) and am really digging it. I love the U pickups in it. Hopefully someday I can also try out an st-80 with the E's and compare! Have fun playing her.
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the pickups that make an ST80 better, it's the nitro finish. In my opinion, of course. Also, that V neck is something quite unusual - not everybody likes the V, but I love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Sightings & eBay Alerts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: