silver star 85?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry

Reaction score
hi
researching my silver star which has 85 stamped on the bottom fret, but i cant find reference to an 85, only 80,s which were the top spec for silver stars, so 85?? ....its a natural finish, one piece maple neck ,one piece body, clear nitro finish, brass nut, saddles, 7okai logo, 7serial number begining with 00 which i take to mean 1980, a beautiful looking guitar and excellent player and sound!!

Hi mate, the "5" in the number usually means a custom colour. There are lots of ST-55 and so on so i suppose the natural was a custom finish which makes it a little bit rarer..

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi mate, the "5" in the number usually means a custom colour. There are lots of ST-55 and so on so i suppose the natural was a custom finish which makes it a little bit rarer..

Mick

Really? Does that mean a TE55 is a TE50 in a custom color?

leadguitar_323 said:
I did say "usually", don't know that much about Tele's so you'll have to wait for Mike or JohnA or Togps to chime in and help.

Mick

Right on Que!!

Sorry I know nothing about tele's either! I think MIck is correct though the extra 5 is the 5000 Yen you paid for a custom colour.

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1981/en_06.html

There's one on here in the 1981 catalogue. Usually natural finish models were Y5000 more than regular models (same as custom colours, or matching headstock paint) --thus SS-85 means the original price was Y85,000. It would be same specs as an SS-80, with natural finish (premium wood). This may well be the highest model available in Silver Stars! :D
________
Rambler american

marcusnieman said:
Really? Does that mean a TE55 is a TE50 in a custom color?

In the 1985 catalogue, a natural finish is listed for the TTE50, and that model only is described as a TTE55. No other custom colours available in that year for Breezys.

An interesting point (though a bit off topic) is that all the left handed Goldstars & Breezys were 55s, whatever finish they had.

Sounds like an interesting SS you have there Terry - how about letting us see it?

Mike

http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo111/creeslough/
this should link to pics of my silver sound though the sites playing up!

should have said i changed the black pup covers and controls for the aged cream ones, i think the all black against the black pickguard lacks definition, also reckon a tortishell pickguard would look the dogs gonads ..

Latest posts

Back