A few questions regarding my Springy..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramblin said:
The sustain is better on my Callaham equipped AV '62 strat. I just feel that this Tokai has more in it.. and that it would be an improvement with a new block/ bridge assembly! But I still dont know if it will fit...

Well you might be right, but I use my ST80 alongside my 1983 US62RI, & there is no difference is sustain between the two of them. I can even get a half-decent Santana-ish tone on Black Magic Woman out of either of them. :wink:

A Callaghan block probably won't fit, as someone said earlier, as Tokais are built to metric measurements.

Fixed my little sustain-problem tonight.. all it needed was a proper setup. Tightened the screws that holds the bridge down, and added an extra spring. Now it sounds much better!

I'd still like to swap the trem-block, the original one is made of pot-metal.. I actually have a Tokai bridge with Final Prospect saddles on a partsocaster I bought last year. It's at my friends studio, I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see i it has a steel block..

Ramblin said:
I actually have a Tokai bridge with Final Prospect saddles on a partsocaster I bought last year. It's at my friends studio, I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see i it has a steel block..

Glad to hear it's sorted.

If I have this right, the final prospec saddles & the steel block were both introduced at around the same time, I think 1982. So you might be in luck.

Hi Ramblin,just a quick ?did u have the refret done or was it already done when you bought it.can you notice if the finish is still in tact......Im looking at getting my springy st50 done so im gathering info on it. Thanks,......Nate ps lovely guitar!

Nate said:
Hi Ramblin,just a quick ?did u have the refret done or was it already done when you bought it.can you notice if the finish is still in tact......Im looking at getting my springy st50 done so im gathering info on it. Thanks,......Nate ps lovely guitar!

It was already done when I bought it. It's pretty common to refinish the fretboard when changing the frets, at least on nitro-finished guitars. There's some laquer at the fret-ends on mine, it looks like a light overspray was done.

A good luthier could probably swap the frets very gently, leaving the original finish the way it is.

Hi Ramblin,
Did you manage to confirm whether or not this is nitro-finished? Just curious...
Thanks,
Chris
________

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one of the tips I've picked up from all the collective wisdom here,
get a UV security pen thing they usually come with a small torch to read the invisibe ink, you can use the black light to determine what varnish it is.
Very nice looking guitar.

eddie h said:
get a UV security pen thing they usually come with a small torch to read the invisibe ink, you can use the black light to determine what varnish it is.

Can you explain this further and/or link to a post discussing it? How exactly do you tell with the light? Does nitro glow different or something? Let me know, for I may have to order one of these pens.

I tried the black light test, using a fake banknote detector. Both poly & nitro finishes looked the same to me.

btmish said:
eddie h said:

Can you explain this further and/or link to a post discussing it? How exactly do you tell with the light? Does nitro glow different or something? Let me know, for I may have to order one of these pens.

Use acetone (fingernail polish remover). You can buy it anywhere and a bottle will cost a buck.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9412&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

knew I hadn't had another senior moment, now where did I leave that damned dog/child/car is this my house?

cheshirecatsmile said:
Hi Ramblin,
Did you manage to confirm whether or not this is nitro-finished? Just curious...
Thanks,
Chris

Hi! Used some fingernail polish remover (without acetone), and it dissolved the finish.. So it is nitro, and has a v-neck. I guess the conclusion is that I have an ST-80.

One hell of a guitar.. :wink:

Back