Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'81 Silver Star SS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diodibuh wrote:
cheshirecatsmile wrote:
You can test for nitro--if it's poly then it's not SS-80.

how can you do that?

Acetone with a Q tip in the body cavity. Nitro will dissolve, poly wont
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshirecatsmile wrote:

I'd guess SS-60 from a quick look. You can test for nitro--if it's poly then it's not SS-80. I have an SS-50 with grey backed pickups (no stamp, but staggered-pole)--not sure what SS-60s are supposed to have but that could be the same.
Nice looking guitar! Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Chris,i will do a acetontest.

Volker
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finaly it was easy,it have a 60 sticker.

Volker
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it today, no sticker. I'll put it apart and post some pictures
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volker - I hope you're not mad on me, I'll borrow your subject

quick review
I was comparing to my '79 SS 38. I don't know what's in that guitar but it was superior to all silverstars I had (two more) and also to this SS60. This SS60 is actually a very good guitar but my black SS38 is just amazing. I think I was lucky to get a really good piece.
Necks are the same size, blacky has maple, SS60 has rosewood. Frets are new, they've been changed, could be done a better work on this (some edges are not really perfect, i saw much better work). Body is actually three piece, on the top of the body there is one more small piece, you can see that on one picture. I put it apart, gray back pickups, no signs, black/blue wires. That confirmes SS60 (I think SS80 has DiMarzio) and also SS80 has two piece body. I'll not do the acetone test Tuners are ok, working perfect. Bridge has brass saddles, electronics works fine, no high loss on volume down, pots are little bit noisy, nothing really special. Nut looks to be changed (looks too new). 5 way switch (blacky has 3 way).
Sound: Bridge pickup sounds better as on the black one, not so thin. All other conbination sounds also very good, but neck pickup on the black one is unbeliveable. I'll check what kind of pickups are installed, maybe they were changed.
Weight: SS60 3474, SS36 3776 - SS36 is more than 300g heavier.
It's quite the same feeling on both guitars, I do prefer SS neck. And I like the big headstock

here are some pictures:

mrsuspend
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit surprised to see it doesn't have the metal plate thing under the electronics which my 79 SS48 has.

/Magnus
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe that's why my '79 ss36 sounds better
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diodibuh,
Are the pickups on your sunburst staggered pole? From the photo they look like they could have flat poles--you'll be able to tell better than I can. This would match with not having the brass ground-plate, and would suggest the whole pickup assembly might have come from an SS-38 or 40. My SS-50 also has the ground plate, but an SS-40 I once had didn't, and had flat-pole pickups.

I find it curious that a 60-level guitar from Tokai would have a 3 piece body as well...possibly a body swap? The saddles are correct for an SS-60 (and same for SS-80). The tuners are the same as found on SS-50 and up.

Quote:
SS80 has two piece body

At least one of mine, a sunburst, has a one piece body--the other one is painted so can't say for certain with that one.
________
SAUBER

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i checked again, they're almost flat, some of them are just a little bit staggered. I'll put apart my SS36 and make some photos and compare to this one. but form the top they look a little bit different as ss36 pickups.
neck is definitelly from SS60 because of the tuners.
now i'm really curious what do I have here
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diodibuh wrote:
Volker - I hope you're not mad on me, I'll borrow your subject

No problem,you're welcome.
Ok,mine have a two piece body and the paint sunk in the wood,but its poly.
Dont like the pups realy much,i will replace them.What i realy like on that one is the neck,very confortable for my small hands and its nicely aged.
A big surprise is the weight of that guitar,its only 3,2kg.
With a bit work for the sound it can be a good player.

Volker
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would try also to change pickups. What do you recommend for this guitar? Because I allready have one one SS which sounds better for my taste, maybe I'll try to install some stuff which will be more like '50 or '60 strat - more like springy. guitar is in very good condition, neck feels great, tuners and bridge are excellent - I think about changing the whole scratchplate so this will remain untuched. if anyone has an opinion, please share it with me - also, if anyone has something for sale, let me know.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diodibuh wrote:
I think I would try also to change pickups. What do you recommend for this guitar? Because I allready have one one SS which sounds better for my taste, maybe I'll try to install some stuff which will be more like '50 or '60 strat - more like springy.

So you want pickups that are more "authentic 50s/60s" vintage sounding? Well you could try Us or Es, if you like them. Probably the easiest to get hold of are the Seymour Duncan SSL-1s - Vintage Staggered Strat. And these are often available second-hand on eBay, so they are relatively cheap to get. The APS-1 Alnico II type are slightly softer sounding, so better for a bright sounding guitar.

But nothing is quite as subjective as pickups, so you'll get loads of different suggestions.
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnx, stratman for suggestions. what about bare knuckle?
stratman323

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried Bareknuckle single coils, though the pair of Peter Greens in "my" ES100 (till Tuesday!) sound good. They're expensive though, & you rarely see them second-hand. Depends how much you're prepared to spend, I guess.

I also reckon that the sound of pickups depends a lot on the guitar, so it's a question of getting the right match. Pickups that sound great in one Strat may sound rubbish in a different Strat. That was certainly the case with my Texas Special set - crap in my 88US Strat (dull & lifeless), but great in my ST80.
Diodibuh
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitelly agree. That's why I ask if anyone allready did that in SS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: