Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions regarding my Springy..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if a pickup that hot is piercing - more likely to be muddy. Or dull.

I suppose it's possible that it's too close to the strings and is inhibiting the vibration? That could affect sustain.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
I doubt if a pickup that hot is piercing - more likely to be muddy. Or dull.

Really? I always thought the opposite with single coils. My U pickups have a significantly higher output than my E's and the U bridge pickup is almost painful to listen to compared to the E p'up. Same setup, p'up and string height on both guitars.
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Seymour Duncan website.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

The tone chart allows you to compare different pickups, & as a general rule, the higher the output, the lower the resonant peak, and the greater the mid range.

Personally, I find the Us a little fatter and less brittle than Es, but that's very much a personal opinion.
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use the neck pickup anyway. But the bridge pickup actually works pretty good, like a Texas Special with som extra spice..

The sustain is better on my Callaham equipped AV '62 strat. I just feel that this Tokai has more in it.. and that it would be an improvement with a new block/ bridge assembly! But I still dont know if it will fit...
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have a look at the Seymour Duncan website.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

The tone chart allows you to compare different pickups, & as a general rule, the higher the output, the lower the resonant peak, and the greater the mid range.

Personally, I find the Us a little fatter and less brittle than Es, but that's very much a personal opinion.

Hmm...cool. Thanks.....whad'ya expect from a blonde.
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramblin wrote:
The sustain is better on my Callaham equipped AV '62 strat. I just feel that this Tokai has more in it.. and that it would be an improvement with a new block/ bridge assembly! But I still dont know if it will fit...

Well you might be right, but I use my ST80 alongside my 1983 US62RI, & there is no difference is sustain between the two of them. I can even get a half-decent Santana-ish tone on Black Magic Woman out of either of them.

A Callaghan block probably won't fit, as someone said earlier, as Tokais are built to metric measurements.
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi. Chris, note: in 1980 were the S/N#s 7 digits! (all Tokai models)

Thanks togps--you are the man! Did this serial # type start around 1982?
________
Growing Marijuana

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed my little sustain-problem tonight.. all it needed was a proper setup. Tightened the screws that holds the bridge down, and added an extra spring. Now it sounds much better!

I'd still like to swap the trem-block, the original one is made of pot-metal.. I actually have a Tokai bridge with Final Prospect saddles on a partsocaster I bought last year. It's at my friends studio, I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see i it has a steel block..
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramblin wrote:
I actually have a Tokai bridge with Final Prospect saddles on a partsocaster I bought last year. It's at my friends studio, I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see i it has a steel block..

Glad to hear it's sorted.

If I have this right, the final prospec saddles & the steel block were both introduced at around the same time, I think 1982. So you might be in luck.
Nate
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ramblin,just a quick ?did u have the refret done or was it already done when you bought it.can you notice if the finish is still in tact......Im looking at getting my springy st50 done so im gathering info on it. Thanks,......Nate ps lovely guitar!
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate wrote:
Hi Ramblin,just a quick ?did u have the refret done or was it already done when you bought it.can you notice if the finish is still in tact......Im looking at getting my springy st50 done so im gathering info on it. Thanks,......Nate ps lovely guitar!

It was already done when I bought it. It's pretty common to refinish the fretboard when changing the frets, at least on nitro-finished guitars. There's some laquer at the fret-ends on mine, it looks like a light overspray was done.

A good luthier could probably swap the frets very gently, leaving the original finish the way it is.
cheshirecatsmile
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ramblin,
Did you manage to confirm whether or not this is nitro-finished? Just curious...
Thanks,
Chris
________
Katana ay50

Last edited by cheshirecatsmile on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
eddie h
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: nitro/poly? Reply with quote

Just one of the tips I've picked up from all the collective wisdom here,
get a UV security pen thing they usually come with a small torch to read the invisibe ink, you can use the black light to determine what varnish it is.
Very nice looking guitar.
btmish
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: nitro/poly? Reply with quote

eddie h wrote:
Just one of the tips I've picked up from all the collective wisdom here,
get a UV security pen thing they usually come with a small torch to read the invisibe ink, you can use the black light to determine what varnish it is.
Very nice looking guitar.

Can you explain this further and/or link to a post discussing it? How exactly do you tell with the light? Does nitro glow different or something? Let me know, for I may have to order one of these pens.
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the black light test, using a fake banknote detector. Both poly & nitro finishes looked the same to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: