ST-80 on ebay!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the git bud !!! Do you play in a band around T.O. ??? I'd love to hear that one in person. Enjoy !!!!!

P1010131.jpg

Dang, thats purdy
Yer darn right!

Chingo didn't disappoint--his shipping was "bombproof" as usual, and as reported is indeed nitro finished-both neck and body, with a pretty sharp V neck. I usually don't take a guitar apart the minute I get it, but this was shipped with strings off (and a fresh set in the case), so it made sense to open it up. It took a while to clean--it was a bit dirty with old nicotine (no smell though) and grime, but cleaned up ok. I put new strings on (10-46 GHS Boomers) and did a quick setup and it plays very nicely. I had been concerned with the amount of neck wear, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue at the moment--I have the action slinkier than I need it without it fretting out or buzzing.

It's interesting to compare to my ST-60 with the same alder body and pickups. They sound about the same, but playing the ST-80 really feels like playing a vintage Fender--the finish is a little stickier to the touch, and it looks like an old Rock Warrior--it's got its share of bumps and dents. The neck on this is a harder V than I was expecting--I have another ST-80 neck that has a much softer V-profile. I like playing this--time will tell whether I like it more than my other Tokai strats. I'm curious about the neck stamp--there is a BA then a smudge instead of the usual #=#, but it's the same font used by Tokai for these stamps. I'm sure it's an original neck--just wondering if anyone has seen this before. The logo looks like it was cleaned with something that ate the finish a bit--it does look old and original up close. I took these photos in a hurry, so sorry for the blurriness:

P1010108.jpg

P1010110.jpg

P1010127.jpg

P1010095.jpg

Do you play in a band around T.O. ??? I'd love to hear that one in person.

Hey brokentoes--I don't play out often anymore--I'm trying to keep music as a fun hobby these days and for me gigging has lost it's charm--I've been mainly writing and recording lately. If you like though PM me and you can check it out at my recording studio (www.audiolab.ca). I make many of my Tokais available to clients who want to record with them--this one will probably stay safely tucked away for mostly private use!

I'm going to have to take a couple of days off to play guitar...
:D
________
EXTREME Q VAPORIZER

cheshirecatsmile said:
It's interesting to compare to my ST-60 with the same alder body and pickups. They sound about the same, but playing the ST-80 really feels like playing a vintage Fender--the finish is a little stickier to the touch

I know what you mean by that. My ST60 should be as good as my ST80 (it's nicer to look at :p ), it's the same age, same sen bodies, but the ST80 has a kind of vintage magic that the 60 lacks. It's hard to beleive that a bit of nitro can make that much difference?

Looks nice, I'm glad you got a good one. The truss rod screw caught my eye - when did Tokai change to the cross-screw type? Both my 1980 Springys have the allen key adjuster

125_2511.jpg

So if yours is a 1981, does that mean that 1981 was the first year of the cross-screw type? My Goldstars all have the later type. Steel trem block? Tokai or FP saddles?

Nice guitar man! I just picked up my first Tokai (st-60) and am really digging it. I love the U pickups in it. Hopefully someday I can also try out an st-80 with the E's and compare! :) Have fun playing her.

It's not the pickups that make an ST80 better, it's the nitro finish. In my opinion, of course. Also, that V neck is something quite unusual - not everybody likes the V, but I love it.

Back