e stamped pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiewolf

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just had a question about e stamped pups on my tst-62. I was recently fixing the springs on the pups so they could be adjusted properly and was checking everything out and noticed the middle pup was stamped with an e and also u. Maybe just a factory mistake? Any ideas? Thanks, Rick

Mike,
Hi, I was afraid someone would ask for pics and being a lame pc user I hope these downloaded. If you look close you can see the E stamp behind the U stamp. The camera doesn't pick it up as good as the naked eye. Thanks for your time and expertise. Rick

parker003.jpg

Kinda fuzzy.....but I can kind of make out the ghost E image. I'd have to say that it's a U but.......

Are the other two p'ups U's or E's? Are the pole pieces on the topside the same between all three pickups (staggered, flat not beveled, etc)?

Marcus,
The other pickups are E stamped and as far as I can tell the poles are basically the same except for a small difference in height from one another. If they are staggered they don't have the same pattern. The U-E stamped mid pickup has been resoldered and has had the wires extended a bit. Perhaps they came from a goldstar or ? I thought it was odd to see the 2 stamps and thought I had an uber rare special model. Thanks for the input. Here's another pic, not much better than the last one sorry, Rick
parker004.jpg

Seems to be a bit of an enigma - I don't know how else to determine if it is a U or an E - other than the U pickups were a bit hotter than the E's. Have you compared the output to the others?

Hi. The pick up shown is a Tokai "U" the U is bang in the right place and of the right font.
The "E" is in fact a "m", indicating it is for the middle pu. This E U E combination is my fave.

makaze said:
The "E" is in fact a "m", indicating it is for the middle pu.

He's not talking about the hand written letter (which I've never seen from Tokai on any of their pickups - probably the previous owner)

He's talking about the ghost image of an E (pointing right) under the U

I did put the "m" on it so I could remember it was the middle pickup. I guess I'll have to check it w/ a meter this weekend.Rick

The most likely explanation (to me) is that someone wrongly stamped Us with the E stamp, realised their mistake, erased the E, & stamped them with Us. Not that it makes a huge difference really.

Out of interest does anyone know what the 'U' and 'E' stamps actually mean? i.e. why U & E? I know the later VI & VII's have been referred to as 'Vintage' 1 & 2 but never heared an explaination for the E & U.

My comedic talents are wasted! Wasted, I tell you!

Aw, I was hoping that you'd like that one John :( - I know you're a humbucker man...

AlanN said:
My comedic talents are wasted! Wasted, I tell you!

Aw, I was hoping that you'd like that one John :( - I know you're a humbucker man...

They're wasted on me I have no sense of humour :wink:

Stratmans right, I'm playing Strats more and more these days, must be old age but I'm playing Strats, using strings that you could use as cheese cutters and complaining about my action not being high enough!! Never been happier with my tone, and the set-up stops me widdling, which is great news for everyone!!

Rehearsing tonight though, and I'm taking along a new Greco Goldtop I've aquired which sounds pretty amazing, might give it a try for a few songs :D

Well, it looks like another unsolved Tokai mystery to me. Maybe I should contact Gerald Rivera. These pups have been placed in temporary retirement and have been replaced by a set of GFS grey bottom 70's overwound pups. Played them last night at practice and they sound sweet. A little more "punch" and sustain. I'll see how I like them once the honeymoon is over, but first impressions were good so far. Rick

zombiewolf said:
These pups have been placed in temporary retirement and have been replaced by a set of GFS grey bottom 70's overwound pups. Played them last night at practice and they sound sweet. A little more "punch" and sustain. I'll see how I like them once the honeymoon is over, but first impressions were good so far. Rick

Hi Rick, I'm considering trying these pickups out in my Silver Star. Did you choose the staggered or flat type and is your impression still favourable?

Thanks!
/Magnus

Magnus,
Hi, the pickups still haven't let me down yet. I've been playing through an old Kustom t&r 2x10" combo amp w/ an EH engish muffin tube pedal and a cheap fender distortion box. I can try to describe the sound. Some people describe it as a dying otter calling for it's mother, but they could just be commenting on my talent or lack thereof. Mostly played the neck pup so far and depending upon pick attack you can get a punchy harmonic sound and a pretty nice sounding smooth "drive" and they have a bit more sustain than the e stamps along with a more bassier,blusier tone. I have about 12 hours on them and I like them. Good quality, the poles pieces and windings were well made. I'm not an expert so I hope the description helps. Non staggered. They are inexpensive enough that I thought they were worth a try. I think they were $77 shipped, I'm in the same state,MA, and had them in 27 hours.

Thanks Rick! As you say they're pretty cheap so I can afford to take a chance (even though they'll cost me a fair bit more, living in Sweden).

Some people describe it as a dying otter calling for it's mother

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back