Sorry, dating again

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Roboherb, I?m impressed at how well your taking this news ? with a positive attitude like that you?ll soon sort things out. Anyway it could have been worse, you could have paid thousands for a real but substandard Gibson or Fender ? come to think of it, that?s exactly what DID happen to many guys here before they discovered Tokai, :wink: LoL!

Ian.

As promiced, the results.

Took the guitar back, going through three members of staff. Got to the gaffa, who as you can imagine, was far from pleased. He too had bought it as a Tokai! Got the usual sort of 'don't you think it's worth it anyway' thing, but you got to expect that. I did get my money back though. He has taken the address of this site for his own reference.

I won't let this experience put me off buying a Tokai (as someone asked), but it depends what comes up in the future. After this experience, it will be a while before I buy another guitar. I sold two last week to raise funds, and part ex another, and didn't end up with the Tokai either. Oh well.

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I will still look on this site for a while...you never know when Tokai's appear!

Best wishes,

Pete

Hi!

RE:

If anyone knows of a maker, who screws there neck pickup to the body, rather than the pick guard, please drop me a line.

As far as I know, every Tele has the pickup screwed into the body - never on the pickguard.

Cheers,
Rob

I am going to capitalize on my own ignorance here, being that it seems to be an ok thing to do. (No offence) :oops: I bought a Tokai a few years ago, not knowing anything about them except this one was red and I had to have it. It was my first decent guitar and was quite excited when I bought it. I paid 200 CAD for it and was just wondering if it was a deal, or if I have something on my hands that is worth more. (Already has sentimental value) The numbers are L07615, and '84 strat copy. Any input on this little gem would be greatly appreciated.

Just another Canuck.

Just been reading through this thread with great interest.

It does seem that Roboherb picked up a dud but that didn't look like a bad guitar from the picture. I doubt if it was Ibanez or Antoria. My guess was maybe a Touchstone Tonewood or Brandoni bitsa guitar.

If you live in the UK, then it is worth knowing that Fender type bodies and parts can be obtained through either of these and other outlets. The quality is good and Brandoni make very good replacement parts at very reasonable prices if you are building a Tele or Strat from scratch.

Bluesbrush made a good point about how a lot of Tokai logos were removed during the 80's. Especially from Tokai Strat's and Tele's as Fender logos were easily available (been there, done it).

I have seen a couple of 80?s Tokai Love Rocks relabelled too. One with the Gold transfer Gibson logo that you would usually find on a Les Paul Special or Junior and another with the more expensive pearl inlay and ?Les Paul Model? transfer (done very well I might add).

I guess there isn't much wrong with putting a new Tokai transfer back on your unbadged Tokai Strat or Tele, but it just goes to show that it isn't just Gibson and Fender that are being faked anymore.

In addition, some dodgy looking guitars are appearing on U.S. Ebay claiming to be very collectable Ibanez replicas from the 70's. Lots of these are missing logo's too. Okay, the Ibanez factory made a lot of guitars with different logos attached as they would literally make guitars for anyone but be careful.

So the moral is ...... be careful and try to check out what you?re buying first. If you want a Tokai Tele or an Ibanez Explorer or even a 71' Les Paul Deluxe then become a bit of an expert before the impulse to buy gets the better of you. There are plenty of websites like this one and plenty of genuine guitars being sold on Ebay to help you take notes.

BTW, there are some fantastic pictures of vintage Tele?s on U.S. Ebay right now and they are selling for 5 figure numbers!

Good luck

Hey there guys!

Well, you haven't got rid of me yet! :lol:

I'm still looking for a new guitar, just looking much much closer. Hopefully, my misfortune at Christmas has stopped someone else from making a mistake. The thing is not to give up. I even looked at a very nice Hohner 335 copy a day or two back...gold fittings...cherry s/burst...hmmmm

Still looking for a Tokai as well, you never know what turns up. As a friend said to me a while back "Never worry about missing a guitar. If you still got the money, another will be along soon". Wise words to pass on.

Best wishes

Pete

Hello,

If you're into 335 types then this looks real nice and from an era when Aria were making decent guitars:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2369948194&category=2384

Now look what you made me do! Drool on the desk :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers for that my friend.

See, without the Tokai, this is still a helpful group.

If anyone following this thread is interested, I have a 1984 Sunburst Breezy Sound for sale. Pictures can be viewed by clicking on "Tokai Breezy Sound", on:

http://niklloyd.mysite.freeserve.com/

Brief Details are:
Approx 1984 Tokai Breezy Sound Telecaster
2 Tone Tobacco Sunburst Alder Body
Maple Neck with Skunk Stripe. Some nice flame on edges
Up graded non-original Tuners
Replaced scratchplate.
Micro Switch added to enhance tone options
Otherwise original, correct markings on neck heal and in body cavity.
Lovely Player.
Open to offers before it goes on Ebay.

Thanks
Nik

Latest posts

Back