Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry, dating again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nik Lloyd
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,
I think I would try to be a bit more positive about it. There are many quality MiJ Replicas about, that yours could be ( most of which we know even less about that Tokai's) . Fernandes, Vesta, ESP, Burny and many others which regularly get mentioned on this site. They are all Great Quality, and although yours is not a Tokai, I still think that any Tele of that quality (Great Ash Body on yours !) has got to be worth the ?200 you paid for it. The going price for a Tokai Breezy Sound from the early 80's is ?350 minimum. I have seen similar markings to yours on Fernandes and Jap Fenders, but hopefully someone will recognise them.
The traditional way to fix the neck pick up is direct to the body, so that is right. The later Std Fenders have the pick up mounted via the scratchplate. I think if the guitar plays and sounds nice, value it for just that !! and when a nice original Breezy comes up, perhaps trade it in.
Just my humble opinion of course !
Nik
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked at the pic.... doesn`t look genuine to me, but I`m not that well versed in Tokais, just the ones I own and have seen on the Japanese net. It`s the sticker that looks phoney to me. Much too small, my opinion.... somebody is taking advantage of the surge in Tokai popularity and sold a fake. If it were me, I`d have returned it already. In fact I bought one tele of the net here that I kept for an hour and sent it back... the worst representation of Japanese guitars I`ve seen yet... an old Greco tele. There are plenty of Tokais out there that are without a doubt original and you would have peace of mind.
By the way... that body looks a lot like the sen body Greco strats I have fron the late 70s. Evidently it was a popular wood then. Keep us posted whatever you decide to do.
Bluesbrush
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasnt that long ago that every Tokai I found had the logo scratched off....or in the case of a very nice Love Rock had a Gibson logo added. Most were just blank but one had the F word.

How the tables turn. It might not be long before they start scratching the F word off those chinese/Korean/Mexican jobs and start putting fake Tokai logos on to raise the price.

Oh the humanity.
BB
Roboherb
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh....nuts!!! It was from a Cash Converter shop. Go on then, tell me more bad news.

I've made arrangements to take it back tommorrow, will let you know what happens.

Pete
Roboherb
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, an update...

I have contacted the local Trading Standards. They have given me some info that may be of use to you guys, although I hope you are never in a position to have to use it

If the label on the goods have been changed, then the product is 'mis representing itself'. If the goods are new or secondhand, you still have the right to a full refund.

Thank you guys, just found other replies on page 2 . While I see your point about if I like it, keep it, I think on this occasion I shall take it back. I was keen when I saw the logo in the shop, and now find it's a fake...kinda knocks the edge of the idea of my new 'toy'.

I am so glad there are helpful people like yourselves out there.

I will let you know the result tommorrow

Cheers
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roboherb, I?m impressed at how well your taking this news ? with a positive attitude like that you?ll soon sort things out. Anyway it could have been worse, you could have paid thousands for a real but substandard Gibson or Fender ? come to think of it, that?s exactly what DID happen to many guys here before they discovered Tokai, LoL!

Ian.
Roboherb
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promiced, the results.

Took the guitar back, going through three members of staff. Got to the gaffa, who as you can imagine, was far from pleased. He too had bought it as a Tokai! Got the usual sort of 'don't you think it's worth it anyway' thing, but you got to expect that. I did get my money back though. He has taken the address of this site for his own reference.

I won't let this experience put me off buying a Tokai (as someone asked), but it depends what comes up in the future. After this experience, it will be a while before I buy another guitar. I sold two last week to raise funds, and part ex another, and didn't end up with the Tokai either. Oh well.

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I will still look on this site for a while...you never know when Tokai's appear!

Best wishes,

Pete
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Scruffy56
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Tele front pickups Reply with quote

Hi!

RE:

If anyone knows of a maker, who screws there neck pickup to the body, rather than the pick guard, please drop me a line.

As far as I know, every Tele has the pickup screwed into the body - never on the pickguard.

Cheers,
Rob
SlinkySix
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to capitalize on my own ignorance here, being that it seems to be an ok thing to do. (No offence) I bought a Tokai a few years ago, not knowing anything about them except this one was red and I had to have it. It was my first decent guitar and was quite excited when I bought it. I paid 200 CAD for it and was just wondering if it was a deal, or if I have something on my hands that is worth more. (Already has sentimental value) The numbers are L07615, and '84 strat copy. Any input on this little gem would be greatly appreciated.

Just another Canuck.
loverockerUK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

null

Last edited by loverockerUK on Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading through this thread with great interest.

It does seem that Roboherb picked up a dud but that didn't look like a bad guitar from the picture. I doubt if it was Ibanez or Antoria. My guess was maybe a Touchstone Tonewood or Brandoni bitsa guitar.

If you live in the UK, then it is worth knowing that Fender type bodies and parts can be obtained through either of these and other outlets. The quality is good and Brandoni make very good replacement parts at very reasonable prices if you are building a Tele or Strat from scratch.

Bluesbrush made a good point about how a lot of Tokai logos were removed during the 80's. Especially from Tokai Strat's and Tele's as Fender logos were easily available (been there, done it).

I have seen a couple of 80?s Tokai Love Rocks relabelled too. One with the Gold transfer Gibson logo that you would usually find on a Les Paul Special or Junior and another with the more expensive pearl inlay and ?Les Paul Model? transfer (done very well I might add).

I guess there isn't much wrong with putting a new Tokai transfer back on your unbadged Tokai Strat or Tele, but it just goes to show that it isn't just Gibson and Fender that are being faked anymore.

In addition, some dodgy looking guitars are appearing on U.S. Ebay claiming to be very collectable Ibanez replicas from the 70's. Lots of these are missing logo's too. Okay, the Ibanez factory made a lot of guitars with different logos attached as they would literally make guitars for anyone but be careful.

So the moral is ...... be careful and try to check out what you?re buying first. If you want a Tokai Tele or an Ibanez Explorer or even a 71' Les Paul Deluxe then become a bit of an expert before the impulse to buy gets the better of you. There are plenty of websites like this one and plenty of genuine guitars being sold on Ebay to help you take notes.

BTW, there are some fantastic pictures of vintage Tele?s on U.S. Ebay right now and they are selling for 5 figure numbers!

Good luck
Roboherb
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there guys!

Well, you haven't got rid of me yet!

I'm still looking for a new guitar, just looking much much closer. Hopefully, my misfortune at Christmas has stopped someone else from making a mistake. The thing is not to give up. I even looked at a very nice Hohner 335 copy a day or two back...gold fittings...cherry s/burst...hmmmm

Still looking for a Tokai as well, you never know what turns up. As a friend said to me a while back "Never worry about missing a guitar. If you still got the money, another will be along soon". Wise words to pass on.

Best wishes

Pete
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

If you're into 335 types then this looks real nice and from an era when Aria were making decent guitars:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2369948194&category=2384
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: