UK Tokai owners convention

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say I really thought about that. I assumed that if somebody was interested enough to come along, they'd be interested enough to join a free forum!

Bearing in mind that there will (should) be several thousands of ?s worth of guitars together in one room, it seems to me to be quite important that we all know who we are inviting along. A free-for-all could be a risk. And the other point is that we will all be bringing at least one Tokai or similar type of guitar, so we can try models that we've never previously had the chance to play.

Besides which, half of the point is so that we can meet the people who we regularly chat to on here - as others have said, it would be nice to put a face & voice to the comments and views we read so often.

Any other views on this?

I've no problem with anyone on the forum bringing a friend/partner along, but you've highlighted a potential problem, we don't want word getting out via the forum and 300 uninvited Chavs turning up to paw our guitars!

I'm sure wouldn't happen, but to be on the safe side maybe once the venue & date are sorted we could let each other know by PM, email or phone.

Depending on the date, I'd love to come along. If anybody is driving down from the north west and wants to split the petrol then i'm happy to contribute too.

I work abroad a lot though, so i'd have to be here!

I might well make an appearance. If there is anyone else from the Midlands I'd be happy to split the petrol costs as i am a none driver... If you are all well behaved, I might even bring my green, early 80s, Jazz Bass

OK great, shall we have another count to see who is now interested in coming along? I think it's worth doing even if it's only half a dozen of us. And if somebody would prefer to organise it in the Midlands, I'll drive up for it.

Yes, if it's in London. Would have to look at the transport and accomodation issues if anywhere else before deciding.

Best regards,
Mole Man

That sounds like a fine idea.

Has anyone contacted Tokai UK to see if they'd be willing to support it in any way? maybe sending a sales manager or two down and using it as a chance to promote the current range by having some demo examples available for example?

Just a thought.

Any word on whether this event is likely to go ahead at all? I would love to take part and can bring a ES-130 to the party! Come on folks, we only live once...

Best regards,
Darren/MM

Well I've had a hectic 2008, but should be able to find a bit more time in 2009, I think it would be great to get a few of us together!

We always seem to get hung up on dates and location when we try to arrange something.

OK, how about somewhere in London in March? How many people would be likely to be able to make that? If there are enough, we can pick a day (one Saturday afternoon/early evening?), and agree what part of London would be best.

Or if someone else would prefer to arrange it in the Midlands, that's fine also.

Goestoeleven said:
That sounds like a fine idea.

Has anyone contacted Tokai UK to see if they'd be willing to support it in any way? maybe sending a sales manager or two down and using it as a chance to promote the current range by having some demo examples available for example?

Just a thought.

Great idea - I've just mailed them. I'd still love to see this happen too. How far would our London-based forumites be prepared to travel? I've arranged events like this before on a huge UK forum, and the London ones have always been a bit painful to get to for most people. We've done them in Bath (beautiful place, though again a pain to get to), Birmingham (the nightlife was a bit poor where we were, but I guess this would only be a one-day thing), Manchester (a pain for parking, but great otherwise) and Sheffield (the best yet).

I got a speedy reply from Bob at Tokai UK: as long as it's in a central location and avoids Musikmesse (1-4 April) and the whole of August, they're interested! Sorry Magnus, that rules out London - but it's very easy and pretty cheap to get to Sheffield from there (one direct train - last time I did it, it was ?40 return first class as I booked in advance).

Sheffield would be great for me! but happy to travel to London if thats what the majority vote for.

Alan,

I'm not madly keen on Sheffield - it's hard to get to for anyone from outside the UK, & it's further than Birmingham. If it's not London, I would prefer:

1. Birmingham
2. Manchester

And both have reasonable airports, & rail services (well as good as any rail services are in the UK these days.....). Personally, I would rather see one or two of our overseas members there than anyone from Tokai UK. Between us, I think we can provide a decent selection of Tokais, old and new.

Wherever it is, parking is important, as I wouldn't attempt the journey by rail with a guitar. And wherever the function is held, it needs to be part of or very close to a decent but not too expensive hotel/motel, so we can store our guitars safely after the do is over.

Good luck!

Thanks Mike - I think it'd be interesting to get Bob and co. along (don't you want to see what all the new models are like!? :D) but I agree, we should place forum members first. I'll try a few friends who live in Brum and see what they suggest, and I'll have a poke around Manchester myself - it's the bigger of the two airports, so should be better for international flights.

I think that involving Bob/Tokai UK would be a spendid idea (so long as he/they realise that they are being invited to our convention and not the other way around). As for the location, well if it is going to be central then one city is surely as good as another! (Disclaimer: that last sentence was written by a lifelong Londoner who rarely dares to tread North of Watford...)!!

Best regards,
Darren/MM

JohnA said:
I've no problem with anyone on the forum bringing a friend/partner along, but you've highlighted a potential problem, we don't want word getting out via the forum and 300 uninvited Chavs turning up to paw our guitars!

I'm sure wouldn't happen, but to be on the safe side maybe once the venue & date are sorted we could let each other know by PM, email or phone.

How dare you, John! FYI, I happen to be Upper Middle Class...

Best regards,
Darren/MM

That's cool, I'm sure we'll be prepared to let a few middle class people in. :lol:

Yeah Tokai UKs attendance would be great too, maybe we could charge them for a stall? After all, they couldn't wish for a better crowd of people to promote their guitars to.

:wink:

Latest posts

Back