Scratchplate!!!!!!on st50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Did any st50's come with 2 or 3 ply scratch plates?
I will post photos soon of this guitar,its a 1978 springy st50,the guy has told me that its all original but ithought i had read something about st50's only having a 1 ply scratchplate with 8 screw holes .this guitar boasts 12 screw holes and a 2 or 3 ply scratch plate.............im asking before i buy...... :wink: Nate
1 wont do,2 is not enough for me no!

Normally (and correctly) maple necks 1 ply, rosewood 3 ply, but in a recent thread there was a maple necked one with a 3 ply plate.

As far as I know all 1978 & 1979 Springys had single ply, 8 hole scratchplates. From 1980 onwards, the rosewood board models had 3 ply 11 hole SPs.

If you let us see pics, especially of the underside of the SP, it's easy enough to tell a genuine Tokai SP by the neat little brass plate under the controls.

Mike

Thanks for replies,here are some pics of the guitar,there are no pics of the underside of scratchplate but if you think i should ask him then let me know..................Nate http://picasaweb.google.com/quinkermarine/SpringyST501978?authkey=EqzzRKwsey4#

The scratchplate has been replaced, it's one of those fake mint green ones that Fender use on the 62 Reissues, & it looks wrong on a 50s copy Strat. Tokai only ever used white SPs, and that guitar would have had a single ply 8 hole one (maple neck = 50s copy). If you buy it, you might see the screw holes underneath. Another clue that it's not a Tokai SP is that it has the holes in the 62 spacing, not the 64 spacing that Tokai used on the RW board Springys.

Apart from that it looks very clean for a 30 year old guitar, & surprisingly shiny too. The body looks like sen. If you're thinking about buying it, do you care if it has the original pickups or not? If you do care, best to ask for some pics under the scratchplate. And after my recent experience, ask for pics of the body routs too to make sure it hasn't ever been attacked by a madman with a drill and a blunt chisel!

:eek:

Thanks Stratman,i will ask him about the pickups and also the cavity cause i did see that guitar that you bought and to say a madman attacked it is the understatement of the year.
I can't tell if its green,it looks white to me but anyhoo do you think that the body doesn't match the neck?...........Nate

Looks to have quite a lot a fret wear all down the treble side - in some places this could be fret dressing. May need a refret. Also ask him if the notes ring out all over the fretboard. Ask also for a close up picture of the bridge.

Dave

Nate said:
I can't tell if its green,it looks white to me but anyhoo do you think that the body doesn't match the neck?...........Nate

I hadn't considered that as a possibility. That's always possible with ANY Strat or Tele, whoever made it, but I can't see any particular reason to think that about this guitar. But then I've been wrong before... :-?

But the SP is definitely not Tokai - have a look on the websites belonging to villager or togps, and have a look at the SPs on the maple board Springys - you'll see how white they look against the discoloured pickups cover s and knobs. And you can be sure that neither of them would sell a guitar with changed parts without declaring it.

Ok ,i contacted him declaring this is not original at least the scratch plate and he said that it had come of another springy with a broken neck.He has told me that tokai as other guitar companies do, variations from time to time and he has also sent me photos of when he first bought it which clearly shows all is original.I really should not have doubted him for hes been spot on with everything else.Ill put up the other photos for all to see...Cheers Guys......Nate

Pics of the underside will confirm if it's Tokai - their SPs are unique. And I'll bet good money it isn't!

Hi Nate,

First, save the pictures from your hotmail account to your disk.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Click the "Browse" button
Find your pic using finder
Confirm
Click the big green "upload now" button

When complete, you'll be given a load of text boxes. You want the second one down titled "IMG code for Forums & Message Boards" (the one starting with [ IMG ]). Highlight all the text in this box and copy it, then paste it directly into a post on the forum.

If you get stuck, forward them to me ([email protected]) and I'll upload them for you.

dabtj.jpg
hope this works!! : :eek:

Am I going mad here? That's not the same scratchplate! :eek: That is a Tokai SP, but it has fewer holes in it than the one on the guitar.

:-? :eek:

Latest posts

Back