1984 Tokai Goldstar blue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is a ford fiesta out there without any paint on it ?? :eek:
but you will have more than enough bacofoil (as used for sheilding)
to cover your turkey for xmass dinner.. :-?
good old fleabay no doubt they dont want to know & you cant post neg feedback..... :evil: :evil:

i didn't know tokais had a swimming pool route? and the routing appears to be a bit of a hatchet job...

I don't know... there wasn't that much info in the seller's ebay page. did you ask for any more pics or info? doesn't look like, "amazing, unmarked condition", though. EDIT: the markings on the pickups aren't right, are they? nothing on the saddles, either (they should be "final pro spec", right?)

you probably know 10x what i do about tokais, though. :lol:

EDIT: it looks to me (and remember what i said about you guys knowing more than me, i signed up here to get advice from you guys :lol: ) like a tokai neck combined with a non-tokai body. which sucks (if that's true). I'm sorry to hear that :( EDIT: the neck-plate's serial number looks ok, though? :-? I'm not sure... it's certainly not in "amazing, unmarked condition", though, i'd say. and some of the hardware and electronics look wrong...

The seller has decent feedback, demand a full refund! If you get no satisfaction file a "item not as described claim" and ebay will refund you the full price and your postage.

I very much doubt if the guitar ever was a Tokai.
The metallic blue finish is non-original, i.e. whatever guitar it is didn't start out in life this colour, looks like a spray can job!
The neck & headstock have both been refinished, so I doubt the decal is original.
SD pickups - non-original
Bridge non-original and very cheap & nasty looking
Routed by a blind-man with a blunt chisel

You've been done!!

I would ask for a refund. Looks like a Tokai neck but the pickups\trem paintwork\routing are obviously not original and should have been clearly described in the listing as they totally devalue the guitar.

Well stratman323 im only going to agree with what everybody else is already saying here and you guys know much more than me but i know what my eyes see and now i know what they mean when they say 'you can't polish a turd'..............Demand full refund ...........this really sucks.........Nate

As a buyer you CAN leave negative feedback, {well in Aus you can} i would be demanding a refund, John said it perfectly, "item not as described".
I doubt this is even a Tokai.... :evil:

Mick

OMFG.. :eek: ..
You must have crapped yourself when you took the scratchplate off and saw that godawful hatchet job?

Commiserations stratman - dishonest seller. They could plead ignorance and say they'd never had the scratchplate off themselves... if it weren't for the microswitch! In the flesh the respray is probably quite apparent too, so I they can't've been genuinely ignorant. As others have said, the item is not as described and you should get a refund.

Slighlty off topic - JohnA, what makes you think the neck and headstock have been refinished? I'm not disagreeing with you but I didn't spot that myself, so this is an opportunity to learn something!

The finish on the back of the headstock looks thick, uneven, and 'bubbly", it hasn't been sanded well between coats (if at all). No Tokai factory finish would look like that, or even a decent amateur job.

I suspect it probably is a real Tokai, at least body and neck, but one which has been seriously abused by an idiot with a chisel and paintbrush.

blake375 said:
Slighlty off topic - JohnA, what makes you think the neck and headstock have been refinished? I'm not disagreeing with you but I didn't spot that myself, so this is an opportunity to learn something!

I just thought the lacquer on the headstock looked a bit odd, like it had been sprayed over with an aerosol, I've since spoken with Mike and he thinks it looks OK, so it looks like I was wrong on this point.

"..unmarked condition,... professionally setup...highly collectable and will increase in value.."

Chronic bullsh!tter. Or delusional.

His view on how eBay works would be in for a short, sharp, shock if I had ended up with that POS.

Not a collectable Tokai, as advertised, just a shiny, gutted mess.

Sorry to hear he thinks he can stick it to you. Good luck.

:eek: That's scary. It looks great in the pics, even if it's obviously a non-standard colour, but look under that scratchplate!

It's obviously been worked on by someone from a South Sea island who's more used to making dug-out canoes. With a breadknife. Grim.

I bought one a bit like it a while back, in that when I took the pickguard off I saw that someone had enlarged the leading edges of the rear pickup rout slightly, but it didn't seem to affect anything and it was neatly covered when I screened the whole interior with adhesive copper tape so I didn't really mind, but that one is a nail.

I guess you could use the neck on another body, but it's a shame as you say.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Out of interest, what does it play like?

JohnA said:
blake375 said:

I just thought the lacquer on the headstock looked a bit odd, like it had been sprayed over with an aerosol, I've since spoken with Mike and he thinks it looks OK, so it looks like I was wrong on this point.

Really? From the pic it looks pretty unsightly.

Sorry Stratman323, I didn't mean to advise that you kept it - I was just thinking that about all that you could do with it would be to use the neck on another one, that was all. And I was just curious as to what it played like.

I agree with everyone else. Good luck with chasing him for a refund. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Graham.

Latest posts

Back