Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!
I'm buying a greco on e-bay. The only thing that anoys me, is that there is no serial number given. The model is EG-800 Les Paul, and the seller says it is 1974 or 1975 model. So is it possible that this model is original with no serial number?
I'm a newbie, so pls help... :-? Tnx

johnny lejga said:
Hello!
I'm buying a greco on e-bay. The only thing that anoys me, is that there is no serial number given. The model is EG-800 Les Paul, and the seller says it is 1974 or 1975 model. So is it possible that this model is original with no serial number?
I'm a newbie, so pls help... :-? Tnx

With Japanese guitars anythings possible :D Can you post a any pics or a link to the auction and we might be able to help.

johnny

Well it's go me stumped!! but we have a few Greco experts here on the forum, I'm sure one will help out. The has all the markings on a '70's Greco, but all the one's I've seen have had serial numbers. Also, if you look at the bridge posts how they go into metal bushings rather than straight in to the wood, this is a feature I've only seen on later Korean/chinese models.

JohnA

Tnx for your help... Also i read somewhere here that Grecos till '75 were bolt-on necks, this one isn't + it's in too good condition for a 30+ years old guitar. I'l keep on looking for another one :)

johnny lejga said:
JohnA

Tnx for your help... Also i read somewhere here that Grecos till '75 were bolt-on necks, this one isn't + it's in too good condition for a 30+ years old guitar. I'l keep on looking for another one :)

Johnny, I have 30 year old guitars in mint condition, and 3 year old guitars that are anything but!!

I think keeping looking is a good idea though, if you want a really nice Greco Les Paul I would get a 1980 or newer one, some of the older ones are a bit duff!! Of course there are sure to be some good ones, but >1980 is a safer bet!

The mint collection guitars, even the ones from the late '80's are fantastic players and great value too, older isn't always better :wink:

Most of the Greco open book headstock Gibson replicas were made by FujiGen Gakki. Some Greco open book headstock Gibson replicas starting from around 1988 had no serial numbers. The lower priced no serial number Greco Les Paul and SG models were made by Cor-Tek (Cort) and usually have Cor-Tek (Cort) potentiometers. The Cor-Tek made Greco guitars have square shaped, brick like nuts with no slope and also often have shielding paint in the pickup and control cavities. Other higher priced no serial Greco Les Paul and SG models were made by Tōkai and the Les Paul models have a EG-75 or EGC-75 model number stamped in the pickup cavity and sometimes have fret edge binding. The no serial Greco guitars made by Tokai have square shaped routing holes at the bottom of the pickup cavities whereas the no serial Greco guitars made by Cor-Tek (Cort) have thinner rectangle shaped routing holes at the bottom of the pickup cavities. Kanda Shokai stopped using the open book headstock design on Greco Gibson replica models around the early 1990s and then concentrated on their other model lines and Fender Japan.

Got an offer for this guitar:

http://www.pictureupload.de/originals/pictures/111110201912_Foto_2.jpg

http://www.pictureupload.de/originals/pictures/111110202017_Foto_3.jpg

Can you tell me the model? Thw owner told me it's a 82 model with long neck...

2 things we need to know.

1- serial number on the back of the headstock (if there is one)
2- name on the bottom of the pick ups.

Pictures tell a thousand words...

japanstrat said:

Greco no serial yellowish headstock binding and non sloped rectangular nut
[img]http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1143/greconosnbinding2qh7.jpg

For the more trained eyes, how would this one compare?
Korean or Japanese?

grecoHS.jpg

Does anyone else think this guitar is class?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAPAN-VINTAGE-GRECO-EG700WW-OHSC-1978-VERY-RARE-/250759006741?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a6266ca15

What does the "WW" indicate? And how are the PU-04 pickups? Seller is claiming 1 piece top and back...how could you even verify that without sanding off the finish? I'm assuming this is a pretty good quality midrange with a poly finish. Anyone have info on these? I am tempted to make it my backup.

sorry don't like it, it's too....hmm white,like a albino LP:( but if you do.go for it! :lol:

Latest posts

Back