Whats your favourite amp?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Reaction score
With humbuckers and single coils aplenty on Tokai's, I was wondering what was everyones favourite Tokai and Amp combination and WHY?

I just picked up a 1964 Selmer Treble and Bass 50w head, and I simply cant believe how good it sounds (compared to how shagged it looks!)

8bit

'69 Marshall 50w or 100w for higher gain and a JTM45 for the big round sound.

Well, I actually got my LS-80 (with SD alnico Pro II, according to the seller) yesterday, but I have been playing it A LOT through a 1976 Boogie mk1, along with some Allman Brothers records.

I have allways tried to get Dickey Betts low-gain, still sustaining tone (like "Blue sky" on Eat a peach), and this is real close !

I will have to get my hands on some Altecs or JBLs, and I?ll probably be there....

I tried the guitar on an 1982 Boogie mk2B for a minute.... Sounded good, but that is a totally diffrent amp from the mk1.

Stian

My '63 Vox AC30 is sweet and mellow. My '79 Fender Twin reverb has the biggest, most wonderful clean sound on the planet. Either/both played with my '75 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe or my '82 Springy Sound.

Currently using an '87 JCM800 50w dual-channel Marshall with the gain at about 3. It's a 1*12 combo with a celestion v30. Thinking of adding another v30 in a closed-back 1*12 cab to create a mini-stack :lol:

Tokai love rock with alnico ii pro pups.

Kind of an ACDC/GnR rock sound mostly.

Well as Barry knows, I?m fortunate enough to have a very early Marshall 18W 2x12, which I?ve had for nearly 30 years, and that?s pretty near my ideal sound for the early Blues stuff I play, eg BB, Albert, Freddy, Otis, and then later stuff from Roy Buchanan, Clapton, Beck & so on. But really I?m happy with any decent amp :-? .

Ian.

As I've rattled on before :roll:: for me, it's a maple-fretboard Goldstar through a 96 Fender Custom Vibroluxe Reverb, recently retubed - no need for pedals - it's twang and klang, baby! 8)

Steve

p.s. I have one of those Smokey practice amps (the ones in cigarette packs) that's cheezy but fun - it actually sounds frightening as a preamp through the Fender

Blimey Ian,sounds like you've got one versatile amp!!does Line 6 know about these!! :) seriously, I know how good the tone on these old amps are...and no I'm not jealous....I've got a 50w Marshall combo,good little gigging amp!....IT DOES THE JOB!!!...OK!!!
Merry' bloody' Christmas
pb

Cause I bought all tube 3 channel preamp "U-sound" (Russian made) now I play the following:
LS85Q (or ESP Horizon NT) -> preamp-> Return of Marshall AVT50

And know I think to buy something like a T.C. Elec. G-major and insert in between preamp and combo's power amp.

Hi pb, ..Ha,ha??well your dead right, it?s not versatile at all, and Line-6 wouldn?t be remotely interested, :lol: LoL! All sounds like Beano, but it suits me just fine (no pedals) :wink: . Have a safe & happy Christmas.

Ian.

Fernandes ST-62-50sb...Behringer V-amp...Sennheiser HD-580 headphone...my tube ears.

Hi,

I use a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber+ for just about everything and all of the Love Rocks sound great through it!

I also have just bought a 1964 Gibson Falcon amp and they sound VERY cool through it too. 8) I like this amp so much I sold my 58 Fender Super ....

Cheers,
Rob

Hi,

I use a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber+ for just about everything and all of the Love Rocks sound great through it!

I also have just bought a 1964 Gibson Falcon amp and they sound VERY cool through it too. 8) I like this amp so much I sold my 58 Fender Super ....

Cheers,
Rob

Mine was the Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 combo that I had. Wondrous clean tone, and dirtier than dirty Ch 2 & 3.

Sold it because I had no need for a thumping great 100watt Marshall as it hardly ever got used due to it being too **** loud! Even with the "VPR" power reduction switch, it was usable at about 0.5 - 1 at home, and at a rehearsal (which was rare), about 4 or 5 (with drumkit!).

At least my PODxt is only as loud as my stereo (which is loud enough when there's call for it ;) )

Back