Vintage Greco & Tokai Prices in Japan

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIJvintage said:
From 1989 thru 1991 I worked with many Japanese, at Hitachi Semiconductor US, formerly in Irving, TX.

Are, you still in semiconductors? Cypress, maybe?

stratman323 said:
MIJvintage said:
Having said that, I still cannot accept the fact that the Springys have a walnut plug on the head stock face & a skunk stripe on the back; all on a round lam' neck.
As good as anyone believes these guitars are, the inaccuracies as compared to the real deal are just unacceptable, IMO ...........
I'll take a Bacchus BST-64V, any day of the week :)

I have an ST80 & a BST-64V, & the ST80 wins, hands down, simply because the neck is so much nicer - slim & almost perfect with that slight V profile. The Bacchus neck is just too chunky for me. And if you get a 1980 to 1982 Springy, you don't get that stupid headstock plug that the earlier RW board models have - I agree that does look odd.

Having said that, the Bacchus sounds much better, unless you change the thin & weedy E pickups on the Springy, but it's easy to change the sound of a Strat, but hard to change the feel. With better pickups, the ST80 sounds great, & has bags of character.

I have to say, I agree with both of you :D

Bacchus make a great sounding playing guitar, and the Bacchi I own (maple necked) have huge chuncky 'V' profiles, which suit me, but not everyone. But a 1980 high-end Springy, like an ST80, has that vintage vibe that a much newer Bachhus is missing! You pick one up and they don't just feel good, they feel special!

MIJvintage said:
bart said:
Ah yes, maybe some normal things to us europeans are considered rude over there. I'm no expert but their social behaviour are quite advanced and facinating. I find them very polite and honest though (the little i have been in contact with them).

From 1989 thru 1991 I worked with many Japanese, at Hitachi Semiconductor US, formerly in Irving, TX.

They are very polite but they easily take offense, particularlly from their own.

The dealings I have had with sellers from digimart is not much different; they will take offense at the smallest things.

I believe the Japanese generally must suffer from some delusional paranoia ..................

Sorry to kidnap this thread, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. Beware that you were dealing with business people, the 'salarymen', and not with regular people in more relaxed situations. Only old Japanese people get easily annoyed at anything in my view. What kind of questions did you ask your sellers?

Having said that, I think that both Digimart and Yahoo Auctions are bit like a no man's land or the wild west. The stuff that goes on those websites would make people fume over on Ebay. Beware.

The language barrier is another issue; can you imagine if I wanted to order a guitar from you people in the US and, without knowing anything about you, I wrote you an email in Spanish or French being that you speak neither of those languages. I think I'd get annoyed after this happened a few times. People on Yahoo Auctions will never sell guitars overseas and there are less than half a dozen shops on Digimart willing to do it; they just don't want to have to deal with it.

Despite that, I did buy a guitar from this man who said on Yahoo Auctions "I don't sell my commodities to the foreigner who cannot speak the Japanese" and the deal went fine. (I live in Japan by the way)

ScottA said:
MIJvintage said:

Are, you still in semiconductors? Cypress, maybe?

No, and don't plan to return 8) ........... but never say never ...........

worked for Hitachi US, Texas Instruments, Honeywell, and Dallas Semiconductor which was bought out by Maxim Integrated, in 2001

Funny you should ask about Cypress, as I turned down an offer from them (Bloomington, MN) in 2002.
Interviewed at Polar Fab, also in Bloomington but I declined secondary interviews :p .............

Currently employed within the HUGE medical device industry here in the Twin Cities

My E pups in my St's soung great when the tube amp is driven. It gives a nice tube distorted tone, the best ive heard in a strat ever. Some say that they are thin, but i play a super reverb and there is plenty of bottom end. Even in my blues junior limited it sounds awesome, total 50's vibe, but not as fat.

Ive also tried U pups in my st 80, and it sounds great, but not as " warm and gritty" like the E pups do. The U's are a bit more even and smoother when driven through a tube amp. I personally like the fuzzier sound of the E pups driven through a tube amp. BUt remember tone is mostly found in the hand and fingers of the player..lol

Latest posts

Back