Vintage Greco & Tokai Prices in Japan

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
1980 Greco EGF1200 (listed for 118,000 yen)
http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00507404

1979 Tokai ST-100 (listed for 88,000 yen)
http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS00500305

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going guitar shopping in Japan :lol: ................

It's strange the way the pickup covers have aged differently on each pickup on the Springy. I'd still gladly add it to my little collection though.

:p

Mike

yes, I noticed all 3 covers, all different shades of color :-?

Yes, I would love to get my hands on a ST100 for $922 US, or the EGF1200 for $1234 US :)

Having said that, I still cannot accept the fact that the Springys have a walnut plug on the head stock face & a skunk stripe on the back; all on a round lam' neck.
As good as anyone believes these guitars are, the inaccuracies as compared to the real deal are just unacceptable, IMO ...........
I'll take a Bacchus BST-64V, any day of the week :)

Same goes for the EGF1200s; nice guitars but veneer tops :-?
Solid tops rule, IMO, even a plain top is real wood :wink: .............

I've often thought the same...

On one of mine, the bridge pickup cover is almost yellow, the middle a little ligher, the neck almost new.

The knobs are uniformly yellow like the bridge pickup cover.

Villager allready have the ST100. :D
http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1386&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/generalunrest/Tokai%20ST-100%20NAT%201979/

Volker

Wow, the greco would have cost about EUR1300 at my door then. But i wouldn't know how to buy it from that place.

Nice guitars!

settebello said:
Villager allready have the ST100. :D
http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1386&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/generalunrest/Tokai%20ST-100%20NAT%201979/

Volker

LOL, funny that the EGF1200 that I posted a link for, also showed up in the japan axe ST100 thread :-?

I must have ESP but a little late :lol: .............

I guess the ST100 is now double the Guitar Trader price :lol: maybe $2K :p .............

bart said:
Wow, the greco would have cost about EUR1300 at my door then. But i wouldn't know how to buy it from that place.

Nice guitars!

Most of the Japanese digimart sellers won't even reply to non Japanese emails.

Even when you have become established with a seller, they can turn on you in a second, just for politely asking about a questionable issue .............

MIJvintage said:
bart said:

Nice guitars!

Most of the Japanese digimart sellers won't even reply to non Japanese emails.

Even when you have become established with a seller, they can turn on you in a second, just for politely asking about a questionable issue .............
Ah yes, maybe some normal things to us europeans are considered rude over there. I'm no expert but their social behaviour are quite advanced and facinating. I find them very polite and honest though (the little i have been in contact with them).

bart said:
Ah yes, maybe some normal things to us europeans are considered rude over there. I'm no expert but their social behaviour are quite advanced and facinating. I find them very polite and honest though (the little i have been in contact with them).

From 1989 thru 1991 I worked with many Japanese, at Hitachi Semiconductor US, formerly in Irving, TX.

They are very polite but they easily take offense, particularlly from their own.

The dealings I have had with sellers from digimart is not much different; they will take offense at the smallest things.

I believe the Japanese generally must suffer from some delusional paranoia ..................

LOL about the japanese and delusional paranoia,thats piss funny :lol: i actually saw that st100 2 days after it was posted and babel fished the site so i could understand it but it had sold a few days later..................nAte

Looks like Mark got that one... Quite rare, I've never seen a 1978 St 100.

1978 ST100 with no gold hardware. The saddles shape look different on it. I wonder if they were proto type ..

Very nice guitar Mark!!!
:D

MIJvintage said:
Having said that, I still cannot accept the fact that the Springys have a walnut plug on the head stock face & a skunk stripe on the back; all on a round lam' neck.
As good as anyone believes these guitars are, the inaccuracies as compared to the real deal are just unacceptable, IMO ...........
I'll take a Bacchus BST-64V, any day of the week :)

I have an ST80 & a BST-64V, & the ST80 wins, hands down, simply because the neck is so much nicer - slim & almost perfect with that slight V profile. The Bacchus neck is just too chunky for me. And if you get a 1980 to 1982 Springy, you don't get that stupid headstock plug that the earlier RW board models have - I agree that does look odd.

Having said that, the Bacchus sounds much better, unless you change the thin & weedy E pickups on the Springy, but it's easy to change the sound of a Strat, but hard to change the feel. With better pickups, the ST80 sounds great, & has bags of character.

kmarccoco said:
Looks like Mark got that one... Quite rare, I've never seen a 1978 St 100.

1978 ST100 with no gold hardware. The saddles shape look different on it. I wonder if they were proto type ..

Very nice guitar Mark!!!
:D

i wondered that ken... they look original re usage, but could be replacement, I disagree totally about the E being weak PU's also..

they sound stellar in this guitar.

villager said:
I disagree totally about the E being weak PU's also..

they sound stellar in this guitar.

What sort of readings do you get from Es usually? Maybe the 2 sets I have tried have been unusually weak?

The E-pups in mine are nice clean sounding.But when it comes to crunsh or
distortion they suck.
Even on my 5e3 they dont distorted on a full level. :eek:
This natural finish is realy nice,Mark. 8)

Volker

Latest posts

Back