BACCHUS BLS ??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
This Bacchus BLS, copy of a 56 gold top, arrived yesterday; anyone here know what the model number is?
BLS56.jpg

Bacchus also made a 56 copy with a one piece back but this one is not it.
You would not know from playing it but this example is the lower grade model, with the two piece back.
Build quality, playability, sound, everything demonstrates why Bacchus guitars are consistantly the best guitars for the money, IMO.

So, anyone here know the model number of this lovely keeper beast? Hisashi? :lol:

Odd thing is, this one has no serial number.
I know of a seller that claims to have a one piece back/higher grade example but further research has proven this seller to be in error.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&item=230302685089

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230304046035

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230305529966

As a side note, I have already removed the master volume pot from the pick guard :)

Next up will be to replace the really awesome roller saddle bridge with a proper 'tune-o-matic' 8)

Lovely guitar, just like the one Im looking for.

Those ebay adds you linked to, are they still for sale? Looks like the same guitar with different prices.

I really have GAS on this one, I also found a nice OgB reissue goldtop. What would you guys go for? ObG reissue or a Bacchus BLS?

PetJyr said:
I really have GAS on this one, I also found a nice OgB reissue goldtop. What would you guys go for? ObG reissue or a Bacchus BLS?

That's a tough one, because both are good choices.
I see more build spec consistancy & a better overall quality in the Bacchus brand, as compared to Orville, or OBG.

Having said that does not however mean that Orville/OBG is second best.
IMO, there are truly hidden bargain gems in the Orville line, even though the higher grade OBG line is hyped as the ultimate Orville shizzle .........

I would buy one of each, and then decide but in that case, I would keep both. 8)

IMO, Here is a great example of a two piece back Orville.
It doesn't have fret binding, or Gibson pickups like an OBG reissue, and it doesnt need those items, or the extra $$$ price tag.
This one has a two piece back; I have seen some OBG reissues with 3 piece backs, and with that extra $$$ price tag too.
http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9775&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=099db6f621fd3643bf83c4e0b317d2a1

Another gold top; my awesome 1982 Greco Mint Collection. 8)
http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10931&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=099db6f621fd3643bf83c4e0b317d2a1

My Bacchus BLS will soon earn a spot between these two girls :p
goldtops.jpg

forgot I had this; shows the one piece back/higher grade model as a BLS-120S so, still don't know the model number of the one I have.
Anyone? .............................
BacchusLiveRoadCatolgue.jpg

Hi Rich, do you know the year it was made and does it have a long tenon neck joint, poly or nitro..? I have an early bacchus from the mid nineties, it has a 2 piece back but has humbuckers and it has no serial number...it is a BLS-95.... Mine has the exact same finish on the back as well and the same blank headstock.

Mick

Mick, has a neck length tenon; ends right where the fingerboard ends.
There is no heel cap.

AFA the year make, I have no idea.
Pots have no codes.

AFA the finish, it's super thin but don't know if poly or nitro.
The back is the same color finish & has the same look & feel as my oil finished top BLS Live Road had, which was supposed to be nitro everywhere, except the top.

What do you think about the pickups Rich? Are they good or do they need to be replaced?

I?ve just joined the Bacchus club so im a little curious. Bought a BLS-56-120, supposed to have a onepiece mahogny back and nitrofinish. Anyone here who haves experience of the Lollar P90s?

PetJyr said:
What do you think about the pickups Rich? Are they good or do they need to be replaced?

I?ve just joined the Bacchus club so im a little curious. Bought a BLS-56-120, supposed to have a onepiece mahogny back and nitrofinish. Anyone here who haves experience of the Lollar P90s?

Peter, odd you should mention that particular model number, as I have seen one advertised online with that very same model number.

I'm not confident that was an actual/proper model number, and the 120 would indicate an original 120,000 yen MSRP.

I would venture to guess that a 120 level 56 style Bacchus would have the Live Road Model logo on the head stock, as in the catalog photo I posted, like this.
BLSOut555-1.jpg

The one that I am aware of that is/was available does not have the Live Road Model logo on the head stock.
It also has no serial number.

Be careful out there ................

Hi Rich, mine has the exact same neck joint, but i'm pretty sure mines poly finished. It has a extremely well joined 2 piece body and would be hard to pick if you didn't know what you were looking for. I see yours has the same type of bridge as mine as well.
DSCF7168-12.jpg

This is the BLS-95, i'm going to change out the pickups but apart from that she's pretty good.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Rich, mine has the exact same neck joint, but i'm pretty sure mines poly finished. It has a extremely well joined 2 piece body and would be hard to pick if you didn't know what you were looking for. I see yours has the same type of bridge as mine as well.
DSCF7168-12.jpg

This is the BLS-95, i'm going to change out the pickups but apart from that she's pretty good.

Mick

Mick, that is an awesome Bacchus Les Paul; looks like a plain top lemon drop! 8)
Love those plain tops.
Are you saying your's has a natural/dark finish back, not cherry?

Thanks for the info on yours :)

My gold top 56 seems to be more or less the same grade level as your BLS-95.
I assume yours has the typical style threaded bridge posts.

I would suspect that the finish on the gold top is likely a super thin poly.
The body back join is fairly obvious from the back but from the end, the two pieces look like one piece of lumber.
I can see that the maple top is a center seam join, even though it is covered with the gold finish.

The bridge on this gold top is an after market design; the bridge posts are actually screwed into metal pieces that are pressed into larger holes, that were drilled into the top. :-?
It's a pretty trick set-up, as the saddles have roller points for the strings to glide across, and the saddles also adjust from side to side. :eek:
The concept is great, if one desires a bridge that is smooth as silk.

I will eventually pry out the two bridge posts anchors, drill the two holes deeper, fill the holes to flush/level with maple dowels, drill holes for threaded 'tune-o-matic' posts, install the threaded posts, and return this beast to an original type bridge. 8)

Yeah mine has the dark/ natural back and is a plain top lemon drop......looks nice, i plan on changing the bridge as well, only difference is mine has the "tune-o-matic" type posts screwed straight into the maple so changing the bridge should be a breeze.

Mick

Latest posts

Back